Dashboard removal and re-covering

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Llessur
Dashboard removal and re-covering

#1 Post by Llessur » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:49 am

Has anyone had any luck in recovering a dashboard in new vinyl or, more likely, getting a professional to do it?

Mine is cracked to buggery thanks to the Australian sun and it's pretty much impossible to find a split-free replacement over here. There are a couple of local trimming places which I plan to speak to but was interested to see if anyone had already been down this route successfully.

How difficult is it to remove the whole dash? Is it a herculean task or surprisingly simple?
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/

johnconradlee

Re: Dashboard removal and re-covering

#2 Post by johnconradlee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:53 am

Taking the dash out on a Mk2 is indeed surprisingly easy (unlike Mk1 where it's welded in!). Remove the various bits attached to the dashboard that will get in the way (wooden bits, centre console, heater ducts etc) them then it just unbolts.

Think having the dash recovered has been done (can't think by whom though).
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

rustjunkie
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by rustjunkie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi .there was an article in classics monthly involving a stag restoration in Australia as a long term project. He had the same problem and had his dash wrapped by vacuum forming from what I remember. He was based in queensland and a member of the stag owners club there. It might be worth contacting them to see if they have any information about this .the result was excellent .I believe . It was about 18 months ago. Possibly back issues available.

Llessur

#4 Post by Llessur » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Cheers for the tip - I've checked my stash of old CM mags back to late 2016 and it seems that the article must pre-date my collection. I have a friend in the UK who keeps a larger stash of old mags so I'll see if he has it and, if so, hopefully he'll be able to scan and email the article.

There are a couple of places here in Adelaide who do dash restoration (I think using the same vacuum method) so hopefully I'll be able to get it done locally. Watch this space...
1977 2500S - White

johnnydog

#5 Post by johnnydog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Does buying a good used one from the UK and getting it shipped over more expensive than having yours repaired? Largish items I have sold on EBay to buyers in Austraila haven't been ridiculously expensive to ship. It's the size rather than the weight, but even so, it must be worth finding out the cost, especially with the ease of using sites such as Interparcel which I find better than others such as Parcel2Go or Parcel Monkey.
Chris Witor sells RHD ones with 'minor imperfections' for £40 plus VAT. I'm certain you could get a mint used one off someone on here for not much more than that.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Llessur

#6 Post by Llessur » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:50 pm

I've certainly thought about it and I have seen mint ones on eBay from time to time for around the 50 quid mark but I'm worried about the logistics of packing and shipping it so that it doesn't get damaged on its way over.

The other worry I have is whether an old dash will be just as likely to crack as the original was - granted it will see much less sun due to the car's limited use but on some days in the summer the temperature in the garage will probably be pushing 40 degrees which might not do it any good.

My theory was that if it's re-covered by an Aussie firm then the materials they use should take the local conditions into account and I would be less likely to be hunting down another replacement dash in ten years or so.

I'll still keep a look out for a UK-sourced one and weigh up the shipping options. If anyone reading this has one tucked away it would be interesting to hear.
1977 2500S - White

Joe™
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by Joe™ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:36 am

I can give you the number for my guy here in Perth who may have one (no guarantees though). I would have thought for the cost and trouble of getting it shipped having your current one re-trimmed would work out about the same, it's not an overly hard job so any trimmer worth their salt shouldn't have a problem with doing it.

The statement about Aussie firms and materials though... well just look at Falcon/Commodore headlinings and paint! You'd think cars made here would fair better than imports but no.

johnnydog

#8 Post by johnnydog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am

Since my last post, I have checked and I do have several perfect RHD dash panels dry stored that I have removed over the years. They have been out of daylight since removal, and are in excellent condition. I wouldn't have kept them if they had any areas of damage or cracking. I can find what the cost would be to ship one to Adelaide with protective packaging if you would be interested, but I would need to measure and weigh one, check the cost etc, so knowing initially whether it would be an avenue you would be prepared to go down would help. I could also send you pictures, but just let me know either way.
John.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Llessur

#9 Post by Llessur » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi John,

That would be very kind of you - I'd definitely be interested in knowing what the approximate freight cost would be. Do you reckon it would be easy enough to package so that it wouldn't get damaged in shipping?
1977 2500S - White

Llessur

#10 Post by Llessur » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi Joe,

Likewise - any leads on possible good condition replacements would be gratefully received :)
1977 2500S - White