Flywheel spigot bushing

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
sprint95m

Re: Flywheel spigot bushing

#11 Post by sprint95m » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:02 am

johnnydog wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm
Having just replaced the clutch and spigot bush on my 'S'....
The spigot bush was noticeably oval, so I decided to replace it. The original bush itself was quite a slack fit in the flywheel (as another one was in a spare flywheel I had). I ordered a replacement from Chris Witor, and that was quite a tight fit, and had to be tapped in using the old bush as a drift. It certainly won't rotate in the flywheel.
As for getting the old bush out - there is a lip on the clutch side of the flywheel which stops the bush from coming out. Bill's method won't work on the Triumph flywheel because of this, so the flywheel has to be removed, which is a simple enough job.
Assuming CW's bushes are the correct tolerance fit, then no other method to retain it in position is needed.
These brass bushes are quite tight, however aren't you meant to steep them overnight in oil before fitting?
It makes no mention of doing this in the Triumph manual but I understand it is best to do so.

Ian.
Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).

Alec

Re: Flywheel spigot bushing

#12 Post by Alec » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 am

Hello Ian,

sintered bronze bushes are fitted after soaking but I don't think this bush is sintered.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.
Jaguar X Type Estate 2.5