What a plonker!

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: What a plonker!

#11 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi Alec,

I think it dimmed everything, but I can't check as I'm away from home at the moment.

You maybe right about a poor joint. However, if the sidelight were on at the time, then the dimming relay would have full battery voltage right across one of the internal resistances. They are made of printed (tinned) copper on a bit of printed circuit board, all in a zig-zag type fashion to get the resistance up. That wouldn't last long with the full 12V across it!

There could of course be lots of other faults, and the only way is to trace it all though. Time will tell!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

badger

#12 Post by badger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and advice. Well my rear lights are all working fine now, including the brake lights. Not sure how!! I first disconnected the earth on the dimming relay and nothing changed. Left it a couple of days, then jiggled/checked the fuses, disconnected the earth wire again and hey presto, normal working lights. Still need to sort the registration lights out as they are still not working, well, I can get one working but not t'other. Hopefully get time at the weekend to sort it out. Thanks again everyone for their help, it's much appreciated. :D
Dorset Badger
MK2 2000 m/od. Sapphire Blue.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#13 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 am

Hello as the cable is run in to the bootlid and this is opened frequently there could be a break in this cable. If you disconnect the black earth and the red cable and with a multimeter check the continuity presuming the bulb hasn't blown, a break can be established. Also check from the other ends to make sure you have 12v with the lights switched on if not your problem is further back.

badger

#14 Post by badger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:44 pm

I now have working number plate lights, yay!!
Dorset Badger
MK2 2000 m/od. Sapphire Blue.