It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Barn Find Triumph Pi
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm 

Tinsmith_Skippy wrote:
...I have had a lot of the unique fixings and other bits yellow passivated .... The clear passivate I've had good results, yellow however is bit hit and miss experimenting still in progress.
When my job included specifying zinc plated hardware and brackets etc in the 1970s into the 1980s, clear passivation was achieved commercially by passivating yellow followed by bleaching to clear (silver).

Yellow passivation was - and I expect still is - much more durable than clear passivation, achieving about three times the hours to corrosion in accelerated salt-spray tests.

For those unfamiliar with the technology, the zinc protects the substrate and the passivation protects the zinc.

Post subject: Re: Barn Find Triumph Pi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:29 am 
Groupie
Groupie

Here are some of the items I have plated with the home kit. The problem encountered with the yellow sacrificial coating has been the adhesion. However since I have left the items over a long period of time the coating has hardened. So I think the 24hr period suggested until it can be placed in a mechanical situation is a little underestimated. I like the idea you can strip down small assemblies plate them and put them back together quickly. However you if take boxes and boxes of parts to the plater you get value for money over small batch quantities.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7