Too much oil

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Ltriumph
Groupie
Groupie
Too much oil

#1 Post by Ltriumph » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:35 am

Hi - I have had my 2000 1978 serviced, just checked the oil and it is half an inch above the top mark - should I empty some out?
Triumph TC 2000 1978
Triumph Bonneville T120 2018

David Withers

Re: Too much oil

#2 Post by David Withers » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:59 am

I see two possible problems with overfilling:
1) Extra pressure on the oil seals: My unqualified opinion is that a level 1/2" above the top mark on the dipstick won't damage the seals but some oil may leak past them.
2) Oil being thrown into the bores by 'windage': The crankshaft running close to the oil (not necessarily touching it) can throw it upwards in fair volume, leading (depending on severity) to problems including overheating. I doubt very much if 1/2" overfill would be enough for that to happen, but cannot be certain.

The maximum mark on the dipstick allows for a rise in oil level at either end of the engine when driving up or down inclines. If your driving is over fairly flat terrain the excess oil shouldn't be a problem but, for peace of mind, I'd be tempted to drain at least some of the excess if expecting to drive on roads having a notable inclination.

Jonathan Lewis

#3 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:59 am

There is one good reason for a mildly overfilled sump with the engine not running, and that is if you have an engine oil cooler fitted. This is to make allowance for the extra oil needed to fill the additional pipework, at least some of which tends to drain back once the engine is switched-off.

If your car does have an oil cooler fitted, I suggest you check the oil level with the engine running, top-up if/as required, then recheck with the engine static and remember the position of the oil on the dipstick for future reference.

Otherwise, I concur with David's (as always) excellent advice - the dipstick calibrations are there for a reason and, IMHO, best complied with...

Ltriumph
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Ltriumph » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Appreciate your input - will drain a bit. Thanks
Triumph TC 2000 1978

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am

Remember that there are 2 marks on the dipstick, high and low. It was intended that the level should be between the 2, not just at high! However, we do all tend to keep it at the high mark!

I also concur with David, the odd 1/2" too high is probably not too bad, but if it gets much higher the big ends can hit the surface and then aerate the oil - which is definitely not a good idea!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Paul64

#6 Post by Paul64 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Don't forget, if your fuel pump is leaking into the sump, your oil level can rise quite quickly...!
Check that the oil on the dipstick is still 'oily', not smelling of petrol....

Paul

Ltriumph
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by Ltriumph » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks Paul - checked the oil, definitely petrol smell, getting fixed on Monday - that's what it was. This forum is brilliant!
Triumph TC 2000 1978