Mk2 Front Wings.

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Steve G
Mk2 Front Wings.

#1 Post by Steve G » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:11 am

Can I ask if anyone on here has bought any of the hand made 2000 Mk2 wings or repair panels ? I am trying to find out how others have got on in terms of fitting them and what pre-fitting work they have had to do.

I've got problems with the ones I bought and I need to know if they are all pretty similar or if my ones are particularly bad.

Thanks.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mk2 Front Wings.

#2 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:46 am

I've got a pair of half wing repair panels, but not got to fit them next. As far as I know (assuming they come from the same source) they are pretty close to the originals and fit well.

Perhaps I can tell you more when I get the time to start the restoration!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Steve G

#3 Post by Steve G » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks very much for replying. If you don't mind can you keep an eye out for a PM from me.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:36 pm

OK, will do.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Steve G

#5 Post by Steve G » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:04 am

It seems a real shame that nobody seems to be taking any interest in this. The more positive responses can only be a good thing for the supplier although it does mean something needs to be done about the one I have.
Lots of these wings are supposed to have been sold so there must either have been a few issues people want to keep quiet or it's a case of stuff you I've got mine.

Alan Chatterton

Mk2 Front Wings.

#6 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:18 am

Steve,

I don't think it's lack of interest, but I'm wondering what you want us to do?
If you have a problem with parts you have bought from a supplier (irrelevant of who that supplier is) then you should go back to them and discuss it with them directly.
It's not clear where you got the panels from, as you don't state, but I'm guessing it's the ones recently made in a batch by a member?
I personally have not bought any of these panels so I can't comment, but I have friends who have and the ones that I have seen looked OK to me.
Sorry I can't help, but I don't know what I can do?

Alan Chatterton
Chairman
Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Steve G

#7 Post by Steve G » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:24 am

Alan.

My main aim at the moment is to find out if other people have had any problems with the wings and wing repair panels they have bought.

If the one I have is the only bad one I don't think it is unreasonable for the supplier to do something about it. If all of the panels are badly finished then it must just be that I was expecting too much.
The supplier has told me I am being too fussy but from what friends and others who have seen them that doesn't seem to be the case. The passenger side one if far more well made in comparison but even that has been bent at some point before I got it.

It would be great if I could contact the supplier now. I sent him an email containing pictures of the faults and he hasn't replied. He doesn't answer his mobile phone and told me he was moving so I won't even have his address. He doesn't seem to use any of the forums he has previously advertised on either.
Does he have his business name or website address?

I thought this might of been of interest to the club as the he has threatened to stop making any panels because of me. I'm not sure exactly what he means, if I am the only person who has a problem out of the hundreds he has sold why is dealing with my problem such an issue?

I have avoided naming him directly, would it be alright to post a picture of the wing on here showing the faults? I haven't done anything to it other then clean off the rust. I would really value the opinions of those on here who have also bought these panels as I am sure most would agree the faults are more then should be expected.

Steve.

Lloydpiestate

#8 Post by Lloydpiestate » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:25 pm

STEVE,

i have offered you a refund 3 times over the last year or so, because you said you were skint, way before you collected your panels, first you said yes, then you said no, then you said yes and then you said no, then you said yes and then you said no again, and now your last email states you want a large refund PLUS you want to keep the panels !!!????

PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR MIND WHAT YOU WANT, AND STICK TO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve G

#9 Post by Steve G » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Lloyd thank you for getting in contact.
You have offered me a refund in the past on a couple of occasions.
The reason for you doing this the first time was because you changed the specification of the wings from when I originally ordered them. The original order was for 7/8th height wings which was then changed then to 1/2 height wings. You arranged for the drivers side wing to be made slightly taller for me.
The second time you offered one was when I found out the panels weren't pressed ones and that the extra height wasn't the 2 inches it was supposed to be. You offered me either a refund or I could wait for some of the new pressed wings.
After things dragged on for so long without any confirmation of when the pressed wings would be ready I asked for a refund which you declined.
Please read the email again. I asked for a full refund in exchange for the drivers side wing or suggested a part refund. I could put this towards paying someone to put right the faults in the panel then.

At least I know you have seen the pictures I sent. Would you care to comment about the faults on here ?

TedTaylor

#10 Post by TedTaylor » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:30 am

Lloydpiestate wrote:STEVE,

i have offered you a refund 3 times over the last year or so, because you said you were skint, way before you collected your panels, first you said yes, then you said no, then you said yes and then you said no, then you said yes and then you said no again, and now your last email states you want a large refund PLUS you want to keep the panels !!!????

PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR MIND WHAT YOU WANT, AND STICK TO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a copy of a reply of a posting on the CT Forum.:

Unfortunately this totally confusing situation - about what wings, when, and payment - is precisely what I felt in Steve's listings/comments. And his expectation that he should get a response from the Forum within a day is completely out of order.

Lloyd is doing all this work in getting the panels made in his spare time from his work as a builder - after a days/full weeks hard work it cannot be easy to get on e-mail/phone and follow up on things especially when they are so confusing. Heck Lloyd is a good friend of mine and often he takes time to reply to MY messages which I fully understand.

This matter should not have been aired on this Forum (or the 2000 Register Forum or any other for that matter) in such a way and attacking someone who has put an inordinate amount of work into the replacement panel problem with all the time and personal expense involved is wholly out of order - something I am fully aware of myself with my work on the windscreens. We do these things for the love of the cars and to support our fellow car owners - making no profit from it despite what some might think and if things go a little wrong treating this as a purely commercial thing is not acceptable.

If Lloyd decides such a public criticism is more that he wants for all his efforts I can fully understand if he walks away from doing any more on panels which will be to the loss of so many owners. After all yours is the first such complaint on this matter that has come to light so presumably the rest of the panels are not that bad.

Asking for help from club officers in private should have been the way to go and NOT blasting into the pubic domain in such a way. I hope the mods will scrub this thread - pity apart from the CT Forum I am unable to copy this to other Fora.

I will also respond to your PM about this - but do not expect a reply within a day because I have much else to do.

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014