Dropping the engine/gearbox...

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Dave B
Re: Dropping the engine/gearbox...

#11 Post by Dave B » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:55 pm

JimB wrote: - Heavy duty, high lift trolley jack: much better than faffing around with a small jack and wooden blocks! I had previously procured via eBay some seriously beefy axle stands, so felt really safe working under the car.

- Cordless impact wrench: probably the best money I’ve ever spent on garage kit. It made the job SO much easier than using hand ratchets. Of course, on reassembly, I’ll use a torque wrench to properly check fixings :D

- Thick foam mat: made scrabbling under the car comfortable and I ache less today than I'd expected to!
Jim, may I suggest the addition of an engine crane ( if you can borrow/hire one) when putting the engine & box back in, perhaps a bit safer than balancing a heavy lump on a trolley jack whilst you get all the mounting bolts aligned. :wink:
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

JimB

#12 Post by JimB » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Have no fear! We used an engine crane borrowed from Mike Stephens (thanks Mike - you'll get it back soon!) to lower the engine/gearbox onto a dolly :D

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:21 am

Sorry, been away from the forum for a while. Glad to hear the lump is out safely Jim. Good luck with the rebuild!

I will need the crane back sometime soon(ish). I'm hoping to start the major body rebuild on my PI this autumn. Note - 'hoping'!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)