New Wheels

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
owen1183
New Wheels

#1 Post by owen1183 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Hello All.... after 12 years of having to pump up the tyres on my 2500S every weekend im thinking of changing the wheels..

I've had new tyres & valves fitted with no improvement to air tightness, so im suspecting the stag style alloys to have had it.

Am I really limited to mini light replicas or revolution replicas?....

I like the revolutions, but seeing them on a 2000, I wasn't sure they suit after all?

I have been researching sizes etc and want to go to 15" wheels and have seen I can get a 15x7J to fit with an offset of ET24...
except I can't find any wheels in that size

I have found some TGR t59's 4x100/114.3 15" 7j et20 so the offset is slightly less....

Any help / suggestions welcome!
76' P 2500S in Honeysuckle with Manual O/D

tony

Re: New Wheels

#2 Post by tony » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:12 pm

Had a similar problem and it was found the clip on the wheel weights was the cause. Stick on weights seem to have fixed it.
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

johnconradlee

#3 Post by johnconradlee » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:26 pm

There's lots of wheels that you can potentially fit depending on budget.

If you're getting new wheels then you can have whatever you fancy pretty much if you order them with the correct PCD and offset.

Wheels from older Japanese cars are often the correct PCD and the correct offset (Datsun 240Z etc) and were sometimes offered as a dealer figment from UK wheel manufacturers (I had a set of Alley Cat wheels originally dealer fitted to a Mitsubushi Colt Sapuro [very much a car from the "when was the last time you saw one of those" catagory!] that I was going to fit to a Mk2). An Ebay search for "Datsun Wheels" brings up a lot of Wolfrace slotmags which used to be a popular fitment.

You can also sometimes find second hand after-market wheels with the correct PCD such as my Compomotive CX or Colin and Amanda Radford's conversational MOMO Vega wheels for sensible money then have them refurbished for something a bit different.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

wild bill

#4 Post by wild bill » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi Owen,if it's only the leaks that are worrying you,you could have the stag wheels bead blasted,then powder coated to a colour of your choice-that should cure the leaking!!
I love the Revs,but must be four spokers!
John's bang on with the Jap wheels,even some of the Jap sculpted steel wheels are neat,I seem to remember a kinda "Rostyle"copy?
Then there's always Weller Steels,or widened original steels for a pretty neat retro look,especially with a nice hub cap.
Myself?,Iv'e got a set of old 6"Cosmics Iv'e refurbed---if I ever get the nerve to fit them!!!!
Food for thought?Good luck,
Bill.
Bill Young
1967 MK1 2000 MSS8E
1971 minivan IUI1588
1981 minivan TDS40W Now PMY453W
1962Greeves Sports Tourer 24DC 114 GGD
1998 Honda CB750, Deep Candy Apple Red.13500 Miles R191DVR
2020 Renault Trafic crew van 12 Miles 02-11-2020 TDS40W

swifty
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by swifty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Like Wild Bill, I have got a period set of old cosmics, except they are rare 15" x 7".so I have shod them with 205 x 60 tyres. They look great (Came off an old MGB - So bear them in mind as well when selecting a size) They are very tight at the back though and could probably do with a 195 tyre size or dare I say rolling the wheel arch lip to clear easily...

swifty
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by swifty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:09 pm

And as if by magic...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-GT-COSMIC ... SwuAVWwzRa

These look like 14" wheels as well - that is a rare size indeed for these wheels...

asam_x
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by asam_x » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi. I have a set of brand new Borbet look type that I had 'made' for my S but never fit, as I'm in the 3rd year of resto and will be a while longer yet. Still in the box. Nice deep polished rim with black face. From memory I think 8j rear and 7j front. Can double check if interested.

englishbull

#8 Post by englishbull » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:23 am

[quote="wild bill"]Hi Owen,if it's only the leaks that are worrying you,you could have the stag wheels bead blasted,then powder coated to a colour of your choice-that should cure the leaking!!
I love the Revs,but must be four spokers!
John's bang on with the Jap wheels,even some of the Jap sculpted steel wheels are neat,I seem to remember a kinda "Rostyle"copy?
Then there's always Weller Steels,or widened original steels for a pretty neat retro look,especially with a nice hub cap.
Myself?,Iv'e got a set of old 6"Cosmics Iv'e refurbed---if I ever get the nerve to fit them!!!!
Food for thought?Good luck,
Bill.[/qu

Ain't you fitted em yet?

May buy em back :lol:
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

owen1183

#9 Post by owen1183 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:04 am

will 8j fit under the rear arches?

I have been looking at Jap wheels, can't find any at the moment that I both like & think would suit the car.

I did like the idea of TR6 wheels, but not too sure now. I like the idea of black / dark wheels with polished lip, as my car is honeysuckle (the most valuable colour Mr Godfrey)

I have had BBS split rims on previous cars and quite like them and have 18" black & diamond polished rims on my Mercedes, so I know all about the cleaning / maintenance they require!
76' P 2500S in Honeysuckle with Manual O/D

johnconradlee

#10 Post by johnconradlee » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:49 pm

I believe 7J is the widest you can go on Mk2 trailing arms and even that will involve some arch fettling depending on tyres. Chris Witor managed to fit 17×8.5J using Mk1 trailing arms "after some lip trimming & panel beating to the bowls" so I guess that's the limit of what's technically feasible.

I quite like the 1977 Datsun Skyline wheels on ebay at the mo (item no. 171872614540) which look almost (if you blur your eyes!) like the standard Mk2 sunflower hub caps but in alloy (and gold!) and pretty much the right period for your car so they might suit. 14" and 5.5J so the same size as your S alloys so I guess you can use the same tyres. They need refurbishing so they don't have to stay gold, although I think gold wheels might go quite well with honeysuckle. These are the same wheels on the car they are intended for: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... T_rear.jpg
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!