Tyres

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
JimB
Re: Tyres

#11 Post by JimB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:35 pm

david_rachel wrote:
david_rachel wrote:I'm on Stag steel rims with Vredestein Quatrac3 tyres, 185/70 R14 - very happy, plenty of grip in both dry and wet conditions
Only problem is, they haven't lasted very long...perhaps that's because they are a M+S tyre. Anyway, they need replacing and so after some research I'm going with these:

Continental Eco Contact 5 185/70 T14 (88)

After I made my choice Maidenhead Tyres told Summit Motors that the Continental, in their opinion, is the best of the bunch, so that was pleasing to hear.
My PI runs on the very same Conti tyres - they're excellent!

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:58 pm

Strangely enough, I have just bought four of these this afternoon....................for my daughters Corsa! The bloke has just got a new Corsa and decided to upgrade to bigger alloys, and was selling four as new tyres, on steel rims and four mint wheel trims for £100. They had only been on a week, would have been rude to refuse :D
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

owen1183

#13 Post by owen1183 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 am

Everyone seems to rave about contis?

I have found..................

I've had them on 3 cars (sport contact 2 or 3's I think)

On the MG TF - they were swapped for Toyo Proxes, as the contis were terrible on a mid engine car, was very tail happy.

The Insignia, couldn't really tell about the grip as they were on the rear and had Bridgstone Potenza on the front...... however they only latest 8 months before they were worn out..... the front Bridgstones lasted longer!!!

On my Current Merc A Class AMG sport...... they are OK, but get a lot of road noise and they are a bit dicey in the wet. Im changing them next week at 16k miles
76' P 2500S in Honeysuckle with Manual O/D

david_lall

#14 Post by david_lall » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:12 pm

it's misguided to think all the tyres from one manufacturer are the same; it's important to look at the details of the manufacturer's model as there can be considerable variation. Just as a basic, one manufacturer will offer summer or all-weather tyres and they will respond and wear differently on the same car. One manufacturer's low profile tyre will be very different to their 70 aspect range, and so it goes on...
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

owen1183

#15 Post by owen1183 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:31 am

absolutely David, I was just highlighting that I have had 3 different sizes / models of Conti Sport contact on 3 different cars and I have been suitable unimpressed with all!

On the same cars, I swapped them for Toyo Proxes, Pirrelli P Zeros & am about to swap my current ones (came factory fitted to the Merc) I wouldn't spec Conti's out of choice

Obviously, this is my opinion based on my experience only.
76' P 2500S in Honeysuckle with Manual O/D

Alan Chatterton

Tyres

#16 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:43 am

I had conti on my Audi as fitted at the factory. Awful. Zero grip. Then ran Michelins which were great.
Interestingly, current Mercedes had Michelins on from new, lease company insisted on Pirelli when changed and I've lost about 7% mpg just down to tyres!

Alan Chatterton
Chairman
Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:02 pm

I have Hankook Optimo K715, 185/80 R14 on both the PI and Stag. Although I don't (often!) drive to the tyre adhesion limit, I can't fault them. Grip seems good and they are quiet too. I suspect that wear won't be a problem (within reason!) as they will probably be time-expired before they wear out!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

johnnydog

#18 Post by johnnydog » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:48 am

Hankook are good tyres. I had a set fitted to my Omega and the grip was good, little to no road noise, and a good steering feel. Probably quite a soft compound, as I didn't get quite the mileage out of them as I have with Goodyears or Michelins, but not to the extent that I would call it a poor mileage return. Audi have fitted Hankooks as original equipment on the A3, which may also gives some indication of their quality.
I have a tyre fitter friend who would recommend Hankook.
But I have now gone off Dunlops and Goodyears - part of the same company now and I have experienced cracking in tread grooves in both.
I have Pirelli P Zeros on my current Audi, and I don't rate them in the slightest - poor feel and they too are developing minor cracks on the shoulder and in the tread grooves. I wasn't impressed with Continental Sport Contacts on my previous Audi - again poor feel and I just didn't feel properly connected to the road.
However,I changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres and the car was transformed in every way!
I have just fitted Michelin Latitude Sports to Paula's Honda and they seem good upto now; they have just replaced a set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP's.
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are my next choice for my Audi; all reviews really rate them, and I have to admit being a Michelin fan.....
Gone slightly off topic for Triumph tyres, as size is also an issue, and as I don't drive them in a way that certain makes of tyre would make too much difference.....but I still have a reputable brand if possible, but thought I'd just get my tenpen'th in on my current thoughts about tyres....
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

torque2me

#19 Post by torque2me » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:31 pm

owen1183 wrote:Everyone seems to rave about contis?

I have found..................

I've had them on 3 cars (sport contact 2 or 3's I think)

On the MG TF - they were swapped for Toyo Proxes, as the contis were terrible on a mid engine car, was very tail happy.

The Insignia, couldn't really tell about the grip as they were on the rear and had Bridgstone Potenza on the front...... however they only latest 8 months before they were worn out..... the front Bridgstones lasted longer!!!

On my Current Merc A Class AMG sport...... they are OK, but get a lot of road noise and they are a bit dicey in the wet. Im changing them next week at 16k miles
16k miles. What a good deal. My conti 3's only do 5k (a second set purchased as I couldn't believe the figure at first) for the rear axle (allegedly 250 horses). I've gone to Avon's (6k a rear set).

Kev

Alan Chatterton

Tyres

#20 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 pm

6k a set?!!!? My Merc is 200bhp rear drive and I get 35-40k out of a set. On 107,000 miles and just about to replace the rears for the second time since new!! Easy on the loud pedal !!

Alan Chatterton
Chairman
Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/