is PAS worth while?

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
CAR
Re: is PAS worth while?

#11 Post by CAR » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:43 pm

Dave B wrote:One thing it does do (apart from reducing the effort required, obviously :roll: ) is that the number of steering wheel turns from lock to lock is reduced from almost four turns to three, bringing it into line with more 'modern' cars. I have converted both mine to PAS and would never go back!
I am lucky in that I can directly compare between PAS and manual steering when I drive Dad's mk1, like Dave says the no. of turns lock to lock is the biggest bonus. I always have to recalibrate when driving Dad's not because of the weight of the steering (only different really at parking speeds) but the steering input needed to negotiate a turn. Two hands on the wheel as much as possible is the order of the day with almost a turn of the wheel needed instead of half a turn or so. Dad says it makes you a better driver :wink:

Colin
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

peewee21
Groupie
Groupie

#12 Post by peewee21 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:01 pm

Cheers, much to mull over. the timing rebuild should be ok as i am planning an engine rebuild soon so it wll have to come off anyway.

Also need to look at the parts supply
Ian Peacock
still sane? definitely not!!
Mk1 2000 Estate Wedgwood Blue

Baller
Groupie
Groupie

#13 Post by Baller » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm doing a full resto on my mk1 2000 , and I plan on putting PAS on it so any tips and or if anybody has any parts that are required then I would be interested. My Idea is that the better and easier it is to drive the more I will use it as I don't plan on just looking at it , they look much better on the road !

pete lewis
Groupie
Groupie

#14 Post by pete lewis » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Chris Witor will do a list and price of whats needed if thats the way you want,to go

theres quite a bit of stuff needed

pete
Pete Lewis
Luton
also area organiser for herts and beds tssc.

tony

#15 Post by tony » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:22 am

Probably easier if you can pick up a cheap wreck, although I suppose they're getting harder to find now. I've done this twice now.
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Clifford Pope

#16 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:48 pm

pete lewis wrote:I fitted a kit to my mk2 2000 the amount of work on the open road
and nipping around roundabouts seemed impossible

The steering can't have been properly set up then, or the tyres were wrong. It just isn't like that.
I've just been out and road-tested mine after replacing hoses, thermostat etc. I wanted to get the temperature well up to check it was cooling properly, so drove fairly energetically round some small local roads. There's one hairpin bend going up a hill and one going down, and I noted how easily the steering responded even one-handed.
I'm much more cautious with the Volvo because the PAS is so easy there's hardly any back-response from the wheels. They can be sliding with one hardly noticing.

But perhaps the Mk1 is better balanced, and a Mk2 really does need PAS to compensate?

Alec

#17 Post by Alec » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Hello Cliff,

I agree, I have had very many cars over the years, Mk 1 and Mk 2, none with PAS and that is how I like them. I can't say that there is any difference between either Marks.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

tony

#18 Post by tony » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:11 pm

My first TC was very heavy in the steering...I thought I was driving an old Leyland bus ! Until I got hold of the parts car that came with the deal I thought that's how big Triumphs were.
It turned out that the top bush had seized on the strut and I was actually turning the rubber bush which had broken away from the housing.
Power steering is nice though. :roll:
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

pete lewis
Groupie
Groupie

#19 Post by pete lewis » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:51 pm

I dont expect the mk2 to be anyway like the previous Snappy Vit6 but maybe its just my take on the large handwheel, and long turns lock to lock, not high efforts just much input for little output.
the front end has a rebuild the top bushes and mounts are good as new,
She does have 14" wheels with185/70 firestone tyres at 26 psi
adding the Pstg just make her do what it says on the tin
A pleasure to drive and now has a 15" wood rim handwheel to complement it.

its all down to preference
pete
Pete Lewis
Luton
also area organiser for herts and beds tssc.

Dave B

#20 Post by Dave B » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:45 pm

tony wrote:Biggest problem is to find and fit a P/S front engine plate to easily fit the pump. The rest is fairly straight forward.
Tony.
Another item becoming harder to find is the crankshaft twin pulley assembly that's needed to drive the PAS pump. There are two types, fixed fan early cars, viscous fan later cars.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer