PAS Rack Rebuild Kits

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
SiennaTC
Groupie
Groupie
PAS Rack Rebuild Kits

#1 Post by SiennaTC » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:21 am

Evening all.
I am about to convert my '73 TC to PAS.
I have 3 racks and pumps to choose from however I would like to run a rebuild kit through whichever rack I end up using. I figure that whilst its out its easier to do it now.
Question being - I'm finding it difficult to source the required bits here in Aus and I see there are a couple of kits on Ebay UK. One from Tony Hart Racing and the other from a seller called Numpty9. Has any one had any experience with these kits?
Ive brought some other bits from the UK - a 'new' overdrive switch and cap and gear lever gaiter. The quality was ordinary at best. Bit disappointed there.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#2 Post by SimonO » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:43 pm

I believe numpty9 is Robsport.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

torque2me

Re: PAS Rack Rebuild Kits

#3 Post by torque2me » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:58 am

SiennaTC wrote:Evening all.
I am about to convert my '73 TC to PAS.
I have 3 racks and pumps to choose from however I would like to run a rebuild kit through whichever rack I end up using. I figure that whilst its out its easier to do it now.
Question being - I'm finding it difficult to source the required bits here in Aus and I see there are a couple of kits on Ebay UK. One from Tony Hart Racing and the other from a seller called Numpty9. Has any one had any experience with these kits?
Ive brought some other bits from the UK - a 'new' overdrive switch and cap and gear lever gaiter. The quality was ordinary at best. Bit disappointed there.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
There were two makers of the racks. One was AdWest and the other ....... name escapes me at present. The Stag racks (for which HRS will be selling for) are 180 deg opposite to the 2000/2500 rack but I would guess the seals are the same. I have kits for both racks in my "stores" so cannot say how well they fit/perform. Robsport do TR7's and Stags.

As regards overdrive switches and caps - the switch is o.k. the cap is absolute crap as it is thin plastic form and both are now re-made items. I don't know where they are made nowadays but I wish the instigator would have insisted on better quality even if it meant a slightly higher price.

Kev

Jonathan Lewis

#4 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:37 pm

torque2me wrote:There were two makers of the racks. One was AdWest and the other ....... name escapes me at present.
Alford & Alder. An S-T subsidiary, I believe, though possibly absorbed into Jaguar by the early 1980s (or perhaps it was shut down and Jaguar merely inherited some of the production plant).
torque2me wrote:The Stag racks (for which HRS will be selling for) are 180 deg opposite to the 2000/2500 rack but I would guess the seals are the same.
Are not the Stag racks physically interchangeable with a Mk2 2000/2.5 PAS unit? Some suggestion of different valving to give a more 'sporty' feel, but surely the basic architecture is the same?

Alan Chatterton

PAS Rack Rebuild Kits

#5 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Stag rack the same but usually lighter. However, these days, 2000/stag racks seem to have been all mixed up so it just depends what you get. Identical racks as far as physically fitting.

Alan Chatterton
Chairman
Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:24 pm

The Stag rack has a thicker 'stop' which reduces - slightly - the lock. Apart from that, they seem to be the same. I have happily interchanged them between saloon and Stag.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

CAR

#7 Post by CAR » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:07 pm

We have a 'Stag' rack on the estate, I fitted it. It just went straight on as Alan says.
As Mike says the rack stops are thicker which does decrease the lock, apart from that the steering is heavier than it was with the original 'S' rack which was an unexpected bonus.
I have driven big saloons with lots of variations in the 'lightness' (if that's a word) of the PAS, luckily both of our cars are at the heavy end of the scale.

Colin
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:24 pm

As I understand it, as a PAS rack gets older, it gets lighter in use. Due to, I believe, the various oil passages getting slightly eroded by the oil and increasing the flow. That sounds logical - but true? I don't know.

Certainly, on the odd occasion that I have had new rack, they are always a bit stiffer than the old one. And yes, I do know about the thrust button adjustment!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

torque2me

#9 Post by torque2me » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Jonathan Lewis wrote:
torque2me wrote:There were two makers of the racks. One was AdWest and the other ....... name escapes me at present.
Alford & Alder. An S-T subsidiary, I believe, though possibly absorbed into Jaguar by the early 1980s (or perhaps it was shut down and Jaguar merely inherited some of the production plant).
Alford & Adler, thanks for refreshing the one memory cell I have.
torque2me wrote:The Stag racks (for which HRS will be selling for) are 180 deg opposite to the 2000/2500 rack but I would guess the seals are the same.

Jonathan Lewis wrote:Are not the Stag racks physically interchangeable with a Mk2 2000/2.5 PAS unit? Some suggestion of different valving to give a more 'sporty' feel, but surely the basic architecture is the same?
Same rack architecture (outside casing) but I was told by an "expert" that there is 180 deg. difference.

If people have swapped Stag for 2500 PAS and it all slides in then I would take their experience rather than someone's pontification.

Kev

pete lewis
Groupie
Groupie

#10 Post by pete lewis » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Crossmembers ,Pstg racks , and repair kits from various suppliers all show stag and 2000/25000 as the same component part numbers

Pete
Pete Lewis
Luton
also area organiser for herts and beds tssc.