Halogen conversion kits

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
rdmstewa
Halogen conversion kits

#1 Post by rdmstewa » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi all
Been ages since I posted anything...there again , since most of my recent problems have concerned the dreaded tinworm, I might have got a degree of sympathy, but...I took it to my tame welder up the road. he took a few weeks, but at least it's stitched back together again now. The rust in the screen surround is, however, another issue...
Today's problem - I've run out of spare sealed beam units and decided to take the plunge and convert to halogens. My dear mate Mr Radford has assured me that I'm competent enough to do this. So, onto the interweb to find a kit, usual suspect in Lincoln offering said kit for £114 all in. But before placing the order, I did some research and found enough advice to suggest that this might not be such a good idea - comments about quality, source country and all that. So my question is - where's the best place to buy all the bits?
Many thanks in advance!
Malcolm
Membership no 7477
(Wakefield, Yorks)
'76 2500S Estate

Why settle for a simple solution when a complicated one will suffice?

Alan Chatterton

Re: Halogen conversion kits

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:21 pm

Don't do it!!!!!!!

Choices. Either buy good used stag units off eBay (stag is same but not sealed so you use H4 and H1 bulbs)

Or, you can buy the units new off eBay for about £50, I did last year on Bradley's car, they are just fine, like these

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1802496894

Don't forget you MUST relay them.
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

rdmstewa

#3 Post by rdmstewa » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks Alan - good to hear from you, hope you've forgiven me for being like a bear with a sore head :evil: at the National evening do! Just needed food, wife assures me that I'm rubbish when the sugar levels go potty...
I'll look into this then.
Cheers
Malcolm
Membership no 7477
(Wakefield, Yorks)
'76 2500S Estate

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:55 am

Hi Malcolm,

Good to hear you on here again!

I have bought the brother's kit but only in the past when it was on offer! They include a couple of relays but I didn't use them.

There are a lot of Halogen type 5.75" units about new and used which should do the job. However, be a bit careful when buying used Stag types as most of the UK cars used 4 off H1 units (rather than 2 off H1 and 2 off H4), with the outers set to give a dipped beam all the time. Main beam then put the inners on. You really want H4/H1 types, with the H4 (outers) having both dipped and main filaments and the H1 inners.

When I rebuilt the Stag, I bought some 'low cost' new units but I was never very happy with the dipped beam pattern. They were marked 'PAL' I think. In the end, I bought some used Stag H4 types at Stoneleigh, from the Yorkshire Triumph guys. They seemed to sort it!

A halogen convertion will give an appreciable increase in light output, but if you also add relays, this can improve it by another 30% or so! Then of course, you can fit uprated bulbs (still legal) which helps even more. I've got night breaker plus types in mine.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

rdmstewa

#5 Post by rdmstewa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks Mike

So having discounted the Lincoln offering I now seem to have some choices - I assume the Stag units you refer to are as they are, so if you get H1/H1 units you can't change them.
I'd certainly prefer to have main beam on both lamps, so assuming I get some of those, I now need relays - I understand the need for them. The question is, what do I buy and where from?
Cheers
Malcolm
Membership no 7477
(Wakefield, Yorks)
'76 2500S Estate

Alan Chatterton

#6 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 pm

If you are not a competent wiring person, you can buy pre wired relay kits from Halfords which come with wires, connectors etc. You may wish to shorten some cables. Take the switching feed from the old headlight cables and all will be well.
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

rdmstewa

#7 Post by rdmstewa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks Alan!
Malcolm
Membership no 7477
(Wakefield, Yorks)
'76 2500S Estate

johnnydog

#8 Post by johnnydog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 pm

And ask Mr Chatterton to change your status to orange Malcolm....being a Register member you know!!!!!!!!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Malcolm, be aware that on the original sealed beam units the three locating lugs on the back of the lamp unit are in slightly different positions on the outer dip/main lamp and the inner main only lamp. This is to prevent inadvertently fitting a main beam only lamp to the outer lamps and vice versa. That is to say, if you buy four lamps of the same type, only two will fit the headlamp bowls!
See you at 'Uddersfield next week !

Regards, Dave.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

rdmstewa

#10 Post by rdmstewa » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:10 am

John - thank you - I'm sure Mr C will spot this and do summat about it.

Dave - good to know. I'm still undecided what to do. Since I've now detected a problem in the steering department, I'm going to have to look at that first. See you at 'uddersfield (although Clayton West might be more accurate!)

Cheers
Malcolm
Membership no 7477
(Wakefield, Yorks)
'76 2500S Estate