Aerial and radio question

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
peewee21
Groupie
Groupie

#1 Post by peewee21 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi all

I took the radio and speaker console section out today to see why it was not working. to my surprise there was no power feed, ignition circuit or an aerial cable.

no for the stupid questions,
on a late mk1 estate where should the aerial be fitted externally? alternately where internally is a good place for a DAB aerial.
on the power feed, is the cabling there somewhere or was the cabling only installed if the option was selected.

whilst is nice listening to the straight 6 a radio would be nice on the longer journey.

cheers
Ian
Ian Peacock
still sane? definitely not!!
Mk1 2000 Estate Wedgwood Blue

johnconradlee

Re: Aerial and radio question

#2 Post by johnconradlee » Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 pm

The radio was mostly a dealer or aftermarket fitment.
On a Mk1 the feed from the ignition runs straight from the ignition switch, if the wire hasn't been fitted you should have a spare terminal on the switch. The Mk2 looms had a dedicated radio feed.
If you need a constant feed for a modern radio to keep your radio pre-sets I'd probably piggy back onto the cigar lighter feed.
As the radio wasn't factory fitted the aerial location is mostly down to preference. The front wings are most popular although I've seen a few Mk2s with aerials in the rear wings. I think my preference on a Mk2 is a swept back aerial on the roof as you can drill the hole neatly through behind the rear view mirror and thread the aerial lead around the windscreen and down the pillars. On a a Mk1 probably front nearside wing (where mine is) looks ok and keeps the cable short.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

Polly
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Polly » Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 pm

I would agree with all of that, except that I would choose the offside wing, for no other reason than it would be slightly less prone to vandalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumph 2000 Mk1 Slate Grey
Triumph 2.5 PI Mk2 Damson
Triumph Tr7 V8 Grinnall (Ramstein) Signal Red
Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8
Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR

trolleybus
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by trolleybus » Sun May 03, 2015 11:55 pm

peewee21 wrote: on a late mk1 estate where should the aerial be fitted externally? alternately where internally is a good place for a DAB aerial.
Hello Ian,
How about no visible aerial?
Run a shielded wire through the windscreen rubber under the glass, attach it to the joining piece of the windscreen metal trim. Make sure you have a clean contact between the stainless steel windscreen trim and the joiner. It works and no aerial visible for vandals to break.
If you are fitting a new windscreen just run a heavy copper wire around the channel before fitting the screen in the rubber, I have done this on a TR6.
Bernard.
Bernard (Australia)
1977 2500 TC Auto EFI
1956 TR3 since 1980

peewee21
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by peewee21 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:32 pm

cheers All
thats my current Bernard, internal arial
Ian Peacock