Starter Motor

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
thebrookster
Groupie
Groupie
Starter Motor

#1 Post by thebrookster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Well, I have had a quick look around, and seem to have gotten myself more confused than when I started!!

Basically, my starter has all but packed in on my Mk1 2000. It is of the inertia type.

Now, when I come to remove it today I discovered that the two nuts/bolts holding it too the bellhousing were loose (as in you could move the starter by nearly an inch by hand). So that was problem 1.

Problem two, once I removed the starter (who on earth designed that top ruddy bolt????????) I found that the rear of the shaft (the square end) had significant play in it. On top of that the brushes need to be replaced.

So, I thought I would simply get a replacement starter, and either hopefully send this one back as part-ex, or I could rebuild it myself when I had more time in hand. Then I looked on Witors website, and noted the cost. Hmmmm.

So basically, I have seen mention of Vitesse/GT6 having same starter. Is there anywhere cheaper for one of these (and more importantly can anyone advise me as to the part number so I know what to search for!!).

Also, there seems to be mixed views on High Torque starters, are they worth it?? And if so, where do I get one from?

Or, am I stuck with rebuilding!!

Cheers,

Phil

Charles H

Re: Starter Motor

#2 Post by Charles H » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:08 pm

I got mine from T D Fitchett for £45 two years ago! Plus a £20 exchange which was refunded on the return of my old one. For that sort of money, I do not think the Hi Torque one was a good investment.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

thebrookster
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by thebrookster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Good point Charles.

As it happens, someone on CT forum has just pointed out that it is the same as the Herald and Spitfire starter, and I happen to have a Herald 13/60 sat on the drive waiting full restoration, so some swapping is about to occur!!

Cheers,

Phil

thebrookster
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by thebrookster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Swap has been done, and the red shed has never spun so fast and easily in the 3 years I have owned her! High torque is def not required for the time being.

Cheers,

Phil

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:55 am

I have my doubts about the necessity for a hi-torque starter. The original system has always work OK for me since my first big saloon in 1974 and I suspect that the problems a Hi-torque one is trying to address is more down to other issues rather than the starter. Issues like poor connections in feed and earth returns etc.

Just my 5p worth (inflation!).

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

James

#6 Post by James » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:00 pm

I have a silly high compression ratio with my engine — granted the cam has plenty of overlap — but the standard starter works totally fine.
1969 2000 MkI EFI
1969 Spitfire MkIII
blog: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/wordpress
twitter: http://twitter.com/jamescarruthers

thebrookster
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by thebrookster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:27 pm

I fully agree with all you guys. If I was to base on the original starter then everything looked gloomy right enough, but that one was shagged!! As in it made very nasty grinding noises when it turned! (In it's defence, I suspect it is the original starter from new as well, so that is 49 years of operation!!)

Given that the motor from the Herald is not a new item (I suspect min 20yo) it spins the big 6 over with little effort at all, makes me wonder what a fully recon'd starter will do!!

So definite conclusion to this thread, High Torque Starters are a waste of money :)

Cheers,

Phil

Polly
Groupie
Groupie

Starter Motor

#8 Post by Polly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Do also bear in mind that if it was loose then it must have had a very poor earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumph 2000 Mk1 Slate Grey
Triumph 2.5 PI Mk2 Damson
Triumph Tr7 V8 Grinnall (Ramstein) Signal Red
Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8
Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR

thebrookster
Groupie
Groupie

#9 Post by thebrookster » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:42 am

Quite right, however the looseness had a much more drastic effect on the end bushing in the end!! It really did not sound nice when I tightened it up and tested it!

Cheers,

Phil