MOT Exempt?

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Alan Chatterton
MOT Exempt?

#1 Post by Alan Chatterton » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:42 am

Apparently, from 2018 cars over 40 years old will no longer need an MOT. (Providing 'Call me Dave' gets in)

I'm not sure I like that idea.

Any thoughts?
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Steve G

Re: MOT Exempt?

#2 Post by Steve G » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:28 pm

As with the Historic tax class it makes me wonder how long it will be before they start limiting the amount we can use older cars.
Saying that I think the only reason we now no longer have to re-sorn cars that are off the road is because it was costing too much.
Someone has probably worked out that is costs more to MOT an old car then it does not to.

bigestate

#3 Post by bigestate » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:40 pm

I can see there being limitations to this prospective change and that will be only valid for 'standard non modified' cars over 40 years??
Gosh none of my cars will ever be mot exempt :cry:

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Cars built before 1960 are currently MoT exempt. Although in theory I suspect that the insurance companies might have something to say about that.

My 1949 Land Rover is in the garage in bits. If I insured it now, I could then, in theory, tax it as it doesn't need an MoT so doesn't need to be able to run or even be in one piece!

I'm in 2 minds about the lack MoT requirement for older cars. I can see why, there are very few pre 1960 cars about, (but there would be more 40+ age cars about) but wouldn't you personally want to have an independant check on your work? I intend to have the Land Rover looked at like an MoT anyway (when it's finished). Makes huge sense to me.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

bigestate

#5 Post by bigestate » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:05 pm

I feel a true enthusiast would have his/her MoT exempt classic checked every year, just to be able to use it safely and also have the satisfaction of buying replacement parts for their car and to have them fitted.
The 'can't be bother' pre '60 owner would just drive till it broke....Thank goodness their are none of these people about :wink:

Polly
Groupie
Groupie

MOT Exempt?

#6 Post by Polly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm not too keen on the no Mot requirement, that said, I think the current test is getting for too complicated, and we are rapidly moving it an age when the average garage won't be able to test an old car properly.
About three years ago, my tester "adjusted the rear wheel bearings" now you and I both know he didn't. I suspect however the rear hub flange is now much tighter than it should be. We could also consider steering ball joints. An advisory "slight play on joint" might be repeated several years before it becomes a fail. To be perfectly honest, I don't think the tester can find enough to spend the time he is obliged to take, I think perhaps we could get away with a less onerous test, but at least a 15m visual inspection on a ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumph 2000 Mk1 Slate Grey
Triumph 2.5 PI Mk2 Damson
Triumph Tr7 V8 Grinnall (Ramstein) Signal Red
Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8
Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR

Charles H

#7 Post by Charles H » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:18 am

The rally car has had an advisory every year for 6 years on slight play in the front wheel bearings!! I have even changed one when I melted the rubber hub seal (leather one now)! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

David Withers

#8 Post by David Withers » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 am

My friend John and I are close to facing that same question as we have almost completed the 5-year total restoration of his 1926 Morris Oxford. He was a registered MOT tester from its inception as the '10 Year Test' in October 1960 until he retired from his own testing station 8 or 9 years ago, and he is concerned - with good reason - about pre-1960 cars needing no MOT.

I used to borrow his garage facilities when I 'moonlighted' in car repairs and sales many years ago, overhauling engines and gearboxes for him in return, and I've seen many old cars brought to him for MOT in dreadfully unsafe condition, several of these being from a nationally-respected person in the classic car movement.

John's old Morris Oxford will cover very few miles each year and of course he is well qualified to maintain it in safe working order, however it will still be submitted for MOT, though we feel that this could be every other year rather than annually. Not only will an MOT bring confirmation that we haven't missed anything, it may be useful when applying for on-the-road insurance and a good back-up should the car be involved in an accident.

It may be a problem finding an MOT man who understands old cars (I faced this with my last MOT where, like Charles, I was advised that the front wheel bearings needed to be fully tightened!) but I think all cars, of whatever age, should require an MOT pass. However the MOT inspection should be made simple and low-cost for old cars as they are not normally complex (e.g. no emissions test equipment needed) and a quick inspection and test of chassis, brakes, lights and steering should be sufficient. The mandatory time for testing could thus be reduced from 45 minutes (if that still stands) to, say, 20 minutes, and the certificate cost reduced accordingly.

Polly
Groupie
Groupie

MOT Exempt?

#9 Post by Polly » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 pm

I agree entirely with David, however I worry that we might be being attacked from two fronts.
The government want to abolish the test, perhaps paving the way for further restrictions later.
And on the other hand, the Trade see it as a possible huge loss of business, and would prefer to see us replacing parts that are perhaps strictly necessary.
I think the best answer lies somewhere in between, ensuring that our cars are as safe as they can be, and removing any ground for future restrictions on their use

Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR

Polly
Groupie
Groupie

MOT Exempt?

#10 Post by Polly » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:05 pm

And I have just realised, if you can find an old number plate, what would stop you from insuring it as a car, taxing it and then transferring or selling the number?
Or
Would the fact that no MOT can be issued make all classic car plates untransferable.

Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR