Film Stars & Celebrity Cars

General non-technical questions and comments about the cars.
Richard Symonds
Groupie
Groupie
Film Stars & Celebrity Cars

#1 Post by Richard Symonds » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Just watched a clip from Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and it has what appears to be a Damson 2000 Mk 11 in it, Reg RBG 149K which according to the Swansea computer is SORN'd.

It was registered December 10th 1971 does anyone know who owns it?

How many other film stars are there out there?

or for that matter exhibition Motor show Cars - I know at least one owned by Chris Saunders, his S Estate.

Jonathan Lewis

Re: Film Stars & Celebrity Cars

#2 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 am

The same car (or at least one bearing the same registration) appeared in the film The Bank Job - at that point, painted dark blue and equipped with PI hubcaps and grille, but no rear pillar badges or black finisher on rear numberplate panel, and with one interior scene clearly showing a 2000 dashboard (albeit with PI steering wheel)...

A very similar - if not identical - car can also be glimpsed in several scenes in the film Made in Dagenham but I don't think that the registration number is visible/legible in that case.

Dread Pirate Roberts
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Dread Pirate Roberts » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:30 am

A 2500S, reg no AFW 913R, in a chase with an old Cortina (I think, it was set in 1980 when I was only little and I was never a ford man) in the film 'Killer Elite' that was on the other day. based on the book Feather Men by Sir Ranulph Finnes it's about the SAS. Has Jason Staham in it. Glad to say it didn't get smashed or blown up but they were certainly giving it some!

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_449494-Tri ... -1978.html

Andy Thompson

#4 Post by Andy Thompson » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 pm

That 2500S is actually an australian car in Australia! Fake reg - seen the film by accident a year or so back and realised something was amiss !
Perth WA
1970 2500PI estate
1964 2.7PI saloon
1973 2100 EFI Megasquirt
1972 Stag

http://triumphwestoz.blogspot.com/

Very Big garage

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 pm

A bit of a chase between a mk2 PI & a Ford Crapi in a clip from a Professionals episode...............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6HW9prpbQg
The Sweeney was always good for a Triumph or two as well, and more recently Life on Mars featured a blue mk2 as a CID car.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Just found one or two more.........
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make= ... model=2000
That should keep you all quiet for an hour or two :lol:
Club Member 2035
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am

Grief! Some (sad?) person has spent an awful lot of time watching old TV programmes/films!

What I find nice is seeing them in a normal environment - like when I started driving them in 1974!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

multipleprototypes
Groupie
Groupie

#8 Post by multipleprototypes » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:51 am

It wasn't a 'blue MK2' in a Life on Mars, it was the wifes MKIII, I think it actually appears in a couple of episodes.

We also took the yellow MKIII up for a days filming, but you can barely see that in the finished result, I remember having to freeze frame the DVD to catch site of it.

I spent most of that day under the Lotus Elan being used in a chase sequence fixing a clutch issue.
What do I know?

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:01 pm

multipleprototypes wrote:It wasn't a 'blue MK2' in a Life on Mars, it was the wifes MKIII

Apologies for my ignorance, but, in the short time it was on view, the car is, to all intents & purposes, a 'blue mk2' to those not in the know, as I wasn't!
http://www.canleyclassics.com/blog/2007 ... ee-it.html
Club Member 2035
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Vox
Groupie
Groupie

#10 Post by Vox » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:35 pm

I realise this is an old topic but I found it when looking for something else.
The original 2000 mentioned in this thread (RGB 149K) was in both Tinker, Tailor.... and the Bank Job. Just before I bought my current 2000 it was for sale fairly localy to me so I went to view it. It belonged to a guy who supplied cars for films and had a large number of 70s cars - Marina, Rover P6, Mk3 Cortina etc that he was downsizing leading up to retirement.
It had been sprayed blue for the Bank Job and was then resprayed maroon for Tinker, all at the film companys expense and everytime it was resprayed it received a think coat of filler primer first and where the paint was falling off (most of the car was filler anyway) you could see the paint was quarter of an inch thick! For one of the films (possibly the Bank Job?) it was shipped to Austratlia for the filming.
At the time I saw it it had a mixture of early and late PI wheel trims and one of the rear quarter bumpers was a face lift type with the rubber strip.
The car started and drove around the yard OK and the overdrive worked but that was about the best thing you could say about it! The underneath was rotten as a pear, including missing most of the out riggers but had a full MOT! Mileage was showing about 20K but must have been the second lap and the car was pretty battered all around.
He wanted about £1700 for it and to put that into perspective about a month later I bought my really solid and presentable PFL Mk2 for £2000 - this was about 4 years ago.
Cheers
Chris
OOY22L