Dies after acceleration

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
SimonO
Groupie
Groupie
Re: Dies after acceleration

#11 Post by SimonO » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:32 am

The other maladies the car is suffering from have taken over...

It's had new uprated CW springs/shocks front and back, new front struts, Tony Hart stag brakes fitted to the front and new fuel lines in addition to the above electrical and fuel work. Steering rack mounts changed. New 15" revolution wheels. Inertia belts in the back.

I then poked the underseal....

The floors are mostly unattached from the sills along both sides. One front outrigger is floating in space and the rear suspension area doesn't look pretty. The front wings are off a different car. How the hell it got an MOT is beyond me.

So, I have two new wings and a front valence to fit. Sills and floor repairs. And a lot of minor welding to do until I am happy to hit the road again. It goes to a mates for the welding in the next couple of weeks.

And then I'm giving it a coat of paint - just to get it to a single shade of white.

I'll then re-look at the engine - it may get rebuilt, or get swapped.

As it sits, other parts arrive such as Alfa 156 seats and a PFL PI dash to put in... It should make the road in the Spring and be safe to drive again!!!

Alec

#12 Post by Alec » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:39 am

Hello Simon,

dear me, that's a lot of work, and as you say, how did it get an MOT? At least you have some good bits on it, get the engine fettled after the welding and you should have a good car to enjoy?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#13 Post by SimonO » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:45 am

I saw some really nice 2000s for good money that didn't look great underneath, so I made a conscious decision to buy something ropey and get it to a standard I'm happy with.

At the end of it, I'll have spent more than one already completed, but I'll know every inch of the car and that it has been done properly before I put my daughter in it. It'll never win a show though as it's being 'retro' rather than original and I can't stand polishing!

That said, I did have the opportunity to pick up a couple of very sound Mk1s which I now regret!

johnnydog

#14 Post by johnnydog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 pm

SimonO wrote:I saw some really nice 2000s for good money that didn't look great underneath, so I made a conscious decision to buy something ropey and get it to a standard I'm happy with.

At the end of it, I'll have spent more than one already completed, but I'll know every inch of the car and that it has been done properly before I put my daughter in it.

That said, I did have the opportunity to pick up a couple of very sound Mk1s which I now regret!
I know you decided to buy something ropey, but that often is the most expensive way overall to buy a Triumph! It usually is cheaper in the long run to pay more for an original car requiring minimal work because when you start chasing rust, the cost of repairing the corrosion followed by a respectable paint job invariably costs far more than the cost of buying a structurally sound example in the first place. I know finding a good solid and unmolested example is easier said than done, but they are out there if you are patient enough! Plus, I would say an original car is always more atttactive than a repaired car as you never really know the quality of work underneath that shiny coat of paint.... unless you have done the work yourself. I have seen so many cars that have had fortunes spent on them, only to see a few years down the line that dreaded tin worm showing itself again.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red