Dies after acceleration

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
SimonO
Groupie
Groupie
Dies after acceleration

#1 Post by SimonO » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:56 pm

I bought 'The Shed' - my ropey 72 Mk2 2000 a few weeks ago after it had been stood for almost 3 years.

When I originally drove it, it wouldn't go above 50mph and on medium to hard acceleration it would simply cut-out. Replacing the coil seemed to help things. It's also had a good load of new fuel in it, albeit there was a bit of old fuel still in the tank.

I have now rebuilt the carbs, new dizzy cap, red rotor arm, new HT leads, new fuel pump, new fuel filter before the pump, new spark plugs and it now runs a lot better - but still not good enough.

I think the car is running a little lean, but that's easy to sort out and with a bit of choke it runs fine.

What is still happening is that if I rev the car when stationary, and then take my foot off the accelerator it almost dies before picking up to a good idle again. It gets worse on the move when you never know if it'll pick up or die - this means that every junction and roundabout is russian roulette and makes the car unusable (hence not being present at Stafford :( ).

The carb linkages feel a little slack which is the last thing I can think of. I will be draining the tank to replace the fuel tank sender so all new fuel will be going in soon.

Any other ideas???

Alec

Re: Dies after acceleration

#2 Post by Alec » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello Simon,

take the air cleaners off and see how free the carburettor pistons are, you should be able to push the piston smoothly up to the top, with some resistance, and it should fall back smoothly and stop with a click. It could be that the pistons and dashpot require a good clean with carburettor cleaner or some other solvent. Don't use any sort of abrasive cleaner on them.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

david_lall

#3 Post by david_lall » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:19 am

And following on from what Alec wrote, is it possible that you mixed up and swapped the dash pots and pistons around by mistake?
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

johnnydog

#4 Post by johnnydog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:23 pm

I assume you are on Strombergs from the age of the car? It sounds like they are running weak. Assuming that the diaphragms are good ( supple and not holed) and the pistons rise and fall correctly (with no sticking, and fall with a metallic clunk), and the carbs are operating simultaneously, then the mixture would appear to be the only issue. The carbs need to be equal in all respects before the mixture adjustment is commenced, i.e. the throttle butterflies need to be balanced so that they open at the same time and equal amounts of air are drawn in. You refer to play in the linkage - if that is lateral play in the butterfly spindles, then they may need rebushing to get rid of play to ensure they close correctly. If all is ok, loosen the clamps on the connecting bar between the throttle spindles and ensure each butterfly is shut with the adjustment screws before re connecting the linkage. I would also at this stage disconnect the linkage from the throttle pedal by releasing the adjustment bar at the front of the front carb.
Moving to the mixture, this must be done with the carbs at normal working temperature, although the initial setting can be set from cold. The workshop manual description of the initial setting prior adjustment is a good starting point. There are three basic ways to adjust the carbs, either with a good co2 device or even a Gunsons, or by increasing the tickover by turning each throttle screw equally so that the revs are 1200 -1500 rpm and turning each adjusting nut on the jet individually to get the highest tickover, or lastly by raising the lifting pin by a small amount and listening to the effect on the engine - if the revs rise noticably then that is too rich, a small increase in revs which may then fall slightly is ok, but if the revs fall, then that is too weak. I personally haven't had much success with the latter method. Another indication is a smooth exhaust note; regular hunting is too rich and irregular hunting or popping is too weak. Finally, tweaks can be made on the road as the car is usually at its optimum operating temperature when being driven, but ticking over in the garage usually ends up with the car being hotter than usual.
Incidentally, MK1's have a split choke cable, so ensure that the choke cable doesn't separate when the knob is pulled out. Sometimes, the choke linkage doesn't return fully when the knob is pushed back in resulting in the choke staying on. The choke cam needs to be completely clear of the stop when pushed in. The profile of the cam was a bit severe in some cases and a slight pull of the choke knob gave a lot of choke. Some cars I have seen have had the cam re profiled with a file to give a shallower curve and a more progressive choke operation.
Apologies if you are already aware of all these points - these are points I have experimented with over the years and hopefully should help with your carb issues.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by SimonO » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks chaps - will have a play this weekend... :-)

johnnydog

#6 Post by johnnydog » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Just wondering if you had made any progress, and how you got on with any adjustmnet to your carbs?
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by SimonO » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 am

Got the car running. Idles and runs fine and I would say was fully operational if it wasn't for a lack of power.

Gets to 55mph fine and then runs out of puff. Engine seems OK, so I am thinking it might have a diff or gearbox from a larger engined car in it. Overdrive kicks in but the drop in revs is minimal. Hvaing driven other 2000 engined Triumphs, this one isn't right by a long shot.

I'm now thinking of collecting parts over the winter and putting a 2.5 engine in it. Also considering stag running gear and a Rover v8.

andyborris

#8 Post by andyborris » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Fuel pump OK?

TedTaylor

#9 Post by TedTaylor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 pm

[quote="SimonO"I'm now thinking of collecting parts over the winter and putting a 2.5 engine in it. Also considering stag running gear and a Rover v8.[/quote]

Or a 5.7 Chevvy V8 ............. :shock:
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

docwad
Groupie
Groupie

#10 Post by docwad » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:02 pm

i presume now all sorted but
my gt6 became asthmatic over 3500 rpm the fault was a wrong back plate to the air filter box obstructing the smaller oval air holes above the main air intake on the strombergs
new car since, ?came of su equipiped car
MK1 GT6 1968 C toC 2021
Mk2 PI 1970 RBRR 2016