Spigot Bush

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
djw113uk
Spigot Bush

#1 Post by djw113uk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 pm

I am using an auto engine in my manual car so need to remove the flexplate and install a spigot bush and flywheel / clutch. Looking at the old flywheel the spigot bush is quite a sloppy fit. It actually spins in the flywheel, although it is a pretty good fit on the gearbox input shaft. How snug should the spigot be in the flywheel? I know on the rover v8 it was very very very snug - a complete nightmare to extract!

Thanks

Alec

Re: Spigot Bush

#2 Post by Alec » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:54 am

Hello DJW,

yours is too loose , it should be tight enough to need light force to insert it in the flywheel. Try a new one but if that is also loose then an appropriate bearing fit adhesive e.g. Locktight will need to be used.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Clifford Pope

#3 Post by Clifford Pope » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:58 am

My mechanic said they don't do very much, just give a bit of location to the input shaft when the clutch is depressed, and don't have to be a critically tight fit.

I found there were two types - one short and fat, the other long and thin. I didn't know that, and got the wrong one.
So we put the old one back.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:36 am

I think the long and thin one is for a Mk1 engine (and goes in the end of the crank) and the short and fat one is Mk2 and goes in the back of the flywheel.

In my opinion, it should be a reasonable tight fit in the flywheel, but as most of the time the clutch is not depressed, there is no relative motion between the gearbox primary motion shaft and the flywheel, so it's not doing very much! I guess it's there to help keep the clutch in the centre of the flywheel, reducing out-of-balance vibration. And to support the end of the primary motion shaft!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

djw113uk

#5 Post by djw113uk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 pm

There are two types and I arrived at the same conclusion as you did. I need the MK2, shorter version - the same as I already have but a big better fit! The problem is no-one has one locally, so I spoke to Chris Wittor. I have order one anyway, but he said they are often sloppy :?

It looked to me like it had been spinning in the flywheel - they appear to be bronze shavings there. Maybe I will pack it out, or "glue it in to make sure its snug!

djw113uk

#6 Post by djw113uk » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:38 am

Excellent service as always from CW. New spigot and some other goodies arrived today. I am pleased to say his definition of sloppy is nowhere near mine. The new spigot is a snug fit, so was worth getting. :D

All I need to do now is remove this flipping auto flex plate from the replacement engine and put it all back together

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:48 am

djw113uk wrote:The new spigot is a snug fit, so was worth getting.
Chris knows his stuff and sells quality goods too.

I think you want this to be a tight fit in the flywheel so that it is only tempted to turn on the gearbox bit rather than the flywheel.

I'm afraid I have very little experience of automatics so can't really help with getting the drive plate off the crank. I'd be having a good read of the manuals (Triumph and Haynes) as well as the parts book for clues, but I'm sure you've done all that!

Good luck.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Richard B

#8 Post by Richard B » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:19 am

I remember reading in a car mag years ago about a E'Type Jaguar that had difficulty engaging/disengaging gears whilst the clutch was depressed.

The cause was a failed (broken) clutch spigot bearing.
Richard
Compulsive PI'er :) Daughters have Heralds. Son-in-laws have 2.5's