vynil roof

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
mikeyb
vynil roof

#1 Post by mikeyb » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:31 pm

the vynil roof on my car is in a state, bits dropping off etc, anyone done a replacement before ? or am I better off just removing it and taking it down to the paint?

Thats assuming theres any paint left underneath that is :?
1977 2500s Saloon

1977Triumph on CT forum, mikeyb TSSC forum. and now you can read the blog! http://2500s.blogspot.com

Charles H

Re: vynil roof

#2 Post by Charles H » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Since the 2000's were not offered with a vynyl roof as a standard option to my knowledge, the question must be asked as to why do you have one in the first place? Hopefully it is because in the past someone liked the look of it. It could however mean that it hides either paint damage of dent damage. I do not think it will do any harm cleaning off what you can to assess the roof. If you are lucky you may get back to a good painted roof. In any case you will find out why it was applied in the first place and can make an informed decision to replace with another.... the back of practical classics or similar will give leads of people who can do it, or take it to a body shop to have the roof repainted body colour. Good luck :)
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

David Withers

#3 Post by David Withers » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Charles beat me to it. I was going to say that vinyl used to be a common way of disguising roof damage. The T2000 roof is such a large expanse of gently curving metal that even a top bodyshop man would find it difficult to hide accident damage.

Likewise any accident damage to the bonnet, but I've yet to see a vinyl-covered one! However the bonnet is easy to replace. :)

I'd do as Charles says - i.e. remove the vinyl before deciding on what to do next.

Next question: "Can it be removed without damaging whatever paint is there?"
Answer: "I dunno".

Alan Chatterton

#4 Post by Alan Chatterton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:00 pm

2500S were commonly fitted with Vinyl roofs.......... classy optional extra of the 70's!!

My old S had a vinly roof in a similar ripped state to I removed it, to find the paint underneath had be "wired-brushed" down the sides, probably to give the glue to grip........

Like they say, quick trip to the paint shop should sort that...........

New vinyl roof is not expensive, but you will have to remove the front and rear windscreens to fit it......... nightmare!!!
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

David Withers

#5 Post by David Withers » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks for educating me, Alan. I've never seen a vinyl roof covering on a big Triumph so must have led a sheltered life.

I do remember them on the Austin Atlantics though - which you surely won't! Our Triumphs had a bit of a reputation for rusting but the Atlantics were streets ahead here and very few survived into the 1960s.

CAR

#6 Post by CAR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:31 am

Didn't the Atlantic have a rear screen which could be wound down like an american station wagon?
Weren't Vinyl roofs quite often fitted as part of a webasto roof option?
Also my Russet brown '78 1850HL Dolomite that I had as a young lad had a beige vinyl roof as part of a 'limited edition' dealer promotion, when I bought it at 10 years old (the car, not me!) it had faded to a mucky fleshtone colour......not its best feature. Don't think I have ever seen a vinyl roof in anything other than black, that looked ok. Don't replace it with a coloured vinyl mikey...urgh!
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

Allen Walker

#7 Post by Allen Walker » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:11 am

Done well and looked after, I think they can look rather good. Click here for a particularly nice example.
Allen Walker
Hoole, Chester[/size]
Used to have a 1976 Triumph 2500S Saloon in BRG :-(

Charles H

#8 Post by Charles H » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:08 am

Dolomites did have a vynyl roof option and looked particularly smart on a white car! Just don't seem quite right on an Innsbruck though :?
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

mikeyb

#9 Post by mikeyb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:20 am

CRAJ wrote: Don't replace it with a coloured vinyl mikey...urgh!
I don't think you need to worry about that :D , as I think the roof was a factory fitted one hopefully there wont be any damage or dents, it does have a sunroof which is also probably factory.....probably :?

Anyway, the sunroof too is in a state, i think the vynil is fine but the handle for the mechanism has been broken. hence the thing won't close and has had the lot covered with more vynil over the whole thing, to stop water getting in :roll: . YUK!

The plan was to rip it all off at the weekend and either recover the vynil on the roof or pull it off and hope it looks ok, and try and fix the handle with some resin adhesive or something.
1977 2500s Saloon

1977Triumph on CT forum, mikeyb TSSC forum. and now you can read the blog! http://2500s.blogspot.com

mikeyb

#10 Post by mikeyb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:24 am

Allen Walker wrote:Done well and looked after, I think they can look rather good. Click here for a particularly nice example.
In thinking that sunroof isn't original though, although it does look very smart, isn't the price a tiny bit optimistic though? And he can't decide what model it is :lol:
1977 2500s Saloon