Carpeting

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Phil T
Carpeting

#1 Post by Phil T » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Refitted the interior of my Mk2 2000 today after removing it all for a freind to weld up around the handbrake.

Bit irritating as I have new carpet on order - desperately needs it - but that may be a few weeks away yet.

Most irritating bit was forgetting to fit the handbrake gaiter before the main carpet section - damn tricky after!

Basic question. I didn't remove the console around the gear lever, how easy is this to do? I can see two screws in the front*, two screws holding a metal plate forward of the lever, and there are two at the top on the sides. Are there any others attaching the console?

* I did remove these, and was able to slide the carpet in and out with this loose.

johnnydog

Re: Carpeting

#2 Post by johnnydog » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:45 pm

The Mk2 centre console is only held by 6 screws as you say; the rear most and those in front of the gear lever are straight forward (assuming that they aren't rusted solid which then makes them more difficult to remove). The two upper side screws pass through the strengthening bracket which sits behind the choke and fan knobs, and the cigarette lighter, all which need to be removed, and the heater control facia and radio (if fitted) to gain better access. I presume you have already removed the parcel shelves.
The original carpet was fitted prior to the heater box and centre console, as it is in one piece running across the top of the gearbox transmission tunnel in front of the drain for the heater box.
The only way to fit a replacement transmission tunnel carpet (assuming it is cut to the original pattern) without removing the centre console is to cut it forward of the gearlever area, but even so, getting it to lie properly, even if you manage to loosen the console sufficiently to wriggle it underneath the edges, will be relatively difficult.
I personally would consider removing the centre console to do it properly, as it may look baggy if you cannot get it under the console sufficiently.
The other thing to consider is that a genuine carpet has a rubberised backing, and is moulded to the correct shape during manufacture - the backing gives it strength to keeps its shape, whereas some aftermarket carpets don't have this, and need cutting and glueing to look remotely like the original. Fitting an aftermarket carpet may be even more difficult without the strength of this backing to keep the carpet in the required shape.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Phil T

Re: Carpeting

#3 Post by Phil T » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Thanks Johnnydog, I have managed to put the original carpet back as I am still awaiting the new carpet.

I believe the new one comes split to for fore of the console, but intend to remove the console to fit the new. The parcel shelves will need to be removed to fit the carpet side panels (the drivers side was earlier this year to fit a new steering bush!).

Just need to rebuild the engine I have in the garage next. Just have to stop t'other half from 'storing' stuff in my garage!