Front windscreen

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Tinsmith_Skippy

Re: Front windscreen

#11 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:22 am

It was quicker the second time round as I did it on my own the first. It’s the corners that you need someone to apply a little pressure 2 inches away from the tool. Would have been quicker if it wasn’t for quality control over my shoulder double checking everything. :lol:
Ross Taylor & Paul Taylor

sahtuning2000

#12 Post by sahtuning2000 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Got to fit the trim to my car,the seal has been replaced but not the trim,looks like you could use string in the trim slot and then pull directly away from the trim for example at the top pull the string towards the roof etc,would this work?

Tinsmith_Skippy

#13 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:36 am

The string as you pull it would most likely be cut by the sharpe edge of the trim. The tool lifts the rubber up therefore making the suface area smaller, this enables the back edge of the trim to be pulled backwards and then seated on the rear ridge of the rubber which holds the trim flat.

If I get a bit of spare time, which there seems never to be enough of, I’ll make a new tool which I’ll be happy enough to send out on sale or return basis if this helps people out.
Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

sahtuning2000

#14 Post by sahtuning2000 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:24 am

I would gladly BUY the tool from you straight away if you can make one up?
Only problem is I plan to try and fit these trims ASAP,maybe a good offer might help producing one quickly?

Charles H

#15 Post by Charles H » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:33 am

I'll have one from you too Ross!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Pimento Red Stag
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#16 Post by Jake » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:28 am

Hi All, I thought I had posted an update on my windscreen fitting story earlier but it doesn't appear to be here, I'll do it again later today with photos etc. if its still not here then.

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#17 Post by Jake » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi All update on my front windscreen fitting saga. I did initially attempt to fit the chrome trim to the rubber before I fitted the screen to the car, however that proved to be quite a challenge and I decided to abandon it due to the risk of breaking the new laminated screen as it's not easy to properly support it when its not fitted to the car. SO I fitted the screen then fitted the trim afterwards. I had a "new" rubber seal and sprayed it with WD40 Silicone lube to fit the screen to the car then again to fit the chrome trim. Drivers side went on no problem the passengers side proved more of a challenge for some reason.

Anyway its in now..
Front windscreen.JPG
Front screen and trim fitted
I made a tool using the drawing in the manual with a piece 4mm stainless rod and mounted it to a handle that is part of the Gunson 77136 windscreen fitting kit (about a £10 on e-bay)
Front screen tool.JPG
Fitting tool
I'm reasonably please with the result.

I also refitted the rear screen, that is much more straight forward even with the chrome finisher strip as it just pushes into the groove in the rubber seal.
Rear windscreen.JPG
Rear screen
and so on to my next job..........

Tinsmith_Skippy

#18 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Nice one Jake! Like the tool you made, bargain £10 and a couple quid for 12 inches of stainless steel rod. That kit I think comes with the tool to put in the chrome insert for the rear window and all the other gear to put windows in. I found the left side more difficult also, being a righty your kinda working overhand.
Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#19 Post by Jake » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:32 pm

I think the windscreen chromes are like the roof gutter chromes. You can get the drivers side on and back on okay but for some reason the passengers side is a different story :?

Tinsmith_Skippy

#20 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Jake if you have any of the stainless rod left over knock a few of the tool bits out and sell them, I can’t even buy the materials and handle for a £10.