Whatever happened to.......?

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
torque2me

#1 Post by torque2me » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi groupies,

Just been re-reading some old topics and came across the one about pillar repeater lenses, especially r/h ones as they suffer most for wear and tear. If members were interested in 2013/4 about having a batch re-manufactured by modern methods (3D printer) how come it went quiet and, seemingly, the subject dying out. Did we ever get hold of a r/h example for instance. I suppose Ted might be the one to provide the final story ending?
Kev

stuart490
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Whatever happened to.......?

#2 Post by stuart490 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Kev,
Some years ago Chris Witor considered remanufacture and asked people to e-mail him if they would buy. It all went quiet so presumably there was insufficient interest. If I remember correctly, he was considering the flat ones fitted to Mk1s and early Mk2s (I think) rather than the curved ones. A while back, I suggested to Ted Taylor that it was something that the Triumph Spares Group should investigate, but as you probably know that folded. I seem to recall that there was some correspondence on the forum as to how many variations there were. I suppose we could set up a poll on the forum to gauge potential demand, but it is beyond my capability to do it.
Regards,
Stuart
1966 Mk1 2000 Saloon

wild bill

#3 Post by wild bill » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:09 pm

I'll have a flat driver's (offside) one ! Or if anyone has one,I am interested!
Bill Young
1967 MK1 2000 MSS8E
1971 minivan IUI1588
1981 minivan TDS40W Now PMY453W
1962Greeves Sports Tourer 24DC 114 GGD
1998 Honda CB750, Deep Candy Apple Red.13500 Miles R191DVR
2020 Renault Trafic crew van 12 Miles 02-11-2020 TDS40W

Alan Chatterton

#4 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:52 pm

The problem is the tooling cost and limited run costs.
We would need 2 mounds made, left and right. To make 100 of each, which would take several years if ever to sell, would work out at about £200 each to recover the tooling costs.
It's just not viable I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Alec

#5 Post by Alec » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:48 am

Hello all,

it has been some time since the initial Chris Witor query, and I am now in a position to require replacements which I wasn't then.
How many of us are now in that position? As this forum seems quiet perhaps a general poll could be put in Six Appeal, however I fear Alan's view will be correct?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Calorian
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by Calorian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Is there nothing else in the triumph range or of the period that used the same fitment, I should have thought something must?
Or possibly something newer that used something close enough to adapt?
My Triumph Blog

:: The Fleet ::
HLO 2000 MKII Manual O/D face lift, British Racing Green
BEL 2000 MKII Auto, Sapphire Blue
:: Previously ::
MLT Ice Blue MKII auto, LYL New White MKII auto and UPO Vermilion Dolomite 1850HL

torque2me

#7 Post by torque2me » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Calorian wrote:Is there nothing else in the triumph range or of the period that used the same fitment, I should have thought something must?
Or possibly something newer that used something close enough to adapt?
Well, it need not be BL products for a wanted part but same item over different manufacturers tends to be common items - brakes, m/c', s/c, lights etc. 1975 time span you would have had SD1 and Jag XJ II/III, plus Ital, Allegro and such. I doubt any of these used one of the three patterns as trim does tend to be model specific. My guess is that we will have to disconnect and fill with something appropriate.

Kev

Clifford Pope

#8 Post by Clifford Pope » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 pm

There is a pair of amber repeaters for a Triumph Acclaim on eBay at the moment, Buy Now price £14.99.

They look about the right size, although are raised not flat, and appear to me to be a reasonable substitute if the proper ones are unobtainable.
Two things would need a little modification.
1) As the seller explains, there is a drain hole which would be in the wrong place. I'd have thought this could be corrected with a drop of resin and a new slot filing, for vertical mounting
2) Hole in the chrome plate might need enlarging?

I don't need these, but might be worth a look for someone?

TedTaylor

#9 Post by TedTaylor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:13 pm

There is one very major problem about having new drivers side ones made (there are quite a few passenger side appearing on ebay).

THERE ARE THREE TYPES .........!!!!!!!!

The obvious diffeence is the domed ones on the late Mk2s, but are people aware that there are, as far as I can make out, two types of flat ones.:
Thin - early Mk1 which deteriorate very badly
Thicker - later Mk1 and earlier Mk2 which deteriorate a little slower!
All six have different part numbers!

Hence which ones do you get remade - both sides, right hand only, domed, early/late .........?

I have had a play with fitting left hand on right hand side and I think they will go - the bottom has a slight slope (which as far as I can tell is the way they are handed) which is barely noticeable when fitted.

This is only my brief assessment of things and I could be could be found wrong.

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

johnconradlee

#10 Post by johnconradlee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 am

Hi Ted, I think you've got your types slightly wrong. There are three types but I'm pretty sure the early Mk1 flat type is the thick one and later Mk1 and early Mk2 use the thinner one.
The early thick type is open at the top and the sides are longer to hook into the pillar whereas both later types are closed at the top and have the hook moulded into this top section. The early Mk1 is a especially cr*p design so it's not surprising they break.
It is possible to fit all three types (although not at the same time clearly!) as the pillars don't change drastically.
My thought would be if someone were going to the expense of getting tooling made the sensible one to get remade would be the Mk1 and early Mk2 thinner one as they would look the least wrong when fitted to an early Mk1 or late Mk2 car. Either that or design a new non-handed "4th type".
What we clearly need is a 2000 Register member who works for an injection moulding company. Is there an injection moulding engineer in the house??
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!