Weather Strips

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
SiennaTC
Groupie
Groupie
Weather Strips

#1 Post by SiennaTC » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 am

Hi,
Im looking at purchasing some door weatherseals and quarter light seals from Earlpart. They are advertised on Ebay.
I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has purchased and fitted these from Earlpart before i order something from the other side of the world!
Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

johnnydog

Re: Weather Strips

#2 Post by johnnydog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:54 pm

The problem with the majority of aftermarket door seals is that firstly, the rubber compound is generally a lot softer than the original. Invariably, the rubber seal drags against the stainless 'B' pillar cover and ends up folding round on itself, which looks unsightly. Once this happens, it is very difficult to rectify it.
It is often made worse if the doors (especially the drivers) has dropped slightly. Secondly, the 90 degree corner at the top of the door isn't formed as with original seals, and needs glueing at a 45 degree angle to look right and to stop it catching as described previously. Have you tried cutting a soft rubber to get a perfectly straight edge - it's quite difficult.
I know they are getting difficult to source now, but as long as originals are in good condition and have been kept well, I would seriously consider paying the extra for originals, or at least a set of good secondhand originals - again difficult to find. I wouldn't consider fitting aftermarket seals unless there was no other option.
As for 1/4 light seals, then you maybe ok with Earlparts; they don't have much work to do. I would think the bottom lip where it sits at the top of the door panel is the only area which may give problems. I believe you can buy a rubber lubricant which if applied reasonably frequently can reduce the affects of ultra violet rays on rubber.
Just as an aside, how many aftermarket windscreen seals and rear window seals do you see that have cracked at the corners? This is because the rubber in manufacture isn't treated quite the same as 'old' rubber and doesn't stand up to the effects of the sun as well.
Originals for me every time - IF you can find any.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

SiennaTC
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by SiennaTC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks for the reply.
I think ive identified the wrong part. Im talking about the rubber strip between door and glass.

Either way what you've said still applies.
I've currently got 10 other sedans that are 'parts' cars so hopefully one of them has a good set. Problem here being the heat/sun.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

johnnydog

Re: Weather Strips

#4 Post by johnnydog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:33 am

Do you mean the weather seal that sits at the bottom of the door glass and the top edge of the door skin?
If so, they are very difficult to fit without the use of the special tool to pull the metal retaining clips in place. There has been reference on here to the tool required and its approx dimensions, so you should be able to find the posts. They arent that difficult to make .
As to the quality of Earlparts door glass seals, I can't comment as I have never used them. Again, I would try to go for new old stock originals if possible. It's rare that you find good secondhand ones - if the door is being scrapped, the seal is usually knackered.
However, depending which door you require them for, you can get away with MG ones for the front doors, because the seals are relatively short because of the quarter light. You then trim the length for them to fit. Don't forget the fronts are handed.
The back doors are more of a problem as they are longer.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red