Cloth seat material

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Toledo Man
Cloth seat material

#1 Post by Toledo Man » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:07 pm

Somebody on the Triumph Dolomite Club (TDC) forum was asking about seat fabric (bri-nylon) and I seem to remember that the Register might've sourced some in the dim and distant past. Can anyone throw any light on this? I post on the TDC & CT forums under this moniker so some of you will already know me.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (the rolling resto)
2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (the modern)
Check out my Blog HERE

"I can help you stop smoking in bed. Buy a water bed and fill it with petrol." - Bob Monkhouse OBE (1928-2003)

kevinw

Re: Cloth seat material

#2 Post by kevinw » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 am

Nylon covers come up on places like ebay from time to time. When I needed to get a seat in my car, which I no longer have, recovered I purchased a rear seat cushion cover and the upholsterer that I used was able to get the material from this.

The upholsterer told me at the time that he had recently retrimmed a Dolomite and had found a source of similar material, but not identical. He explained that it was "metric" not the "imperial" stuff originally used. Or in other words, if the ridges originally were 1/8th inch, the replacement stuff is 3mm. So doing a whole car looked fine, but it would be noticable if just one seat were to be done.

There was talk some years ago of, I think, the Dolomite Club commissioning re manufactured covers, but a survey of members, including a full page item in SIXappeal showed that it was not viable.

Kevin
Kevin Warrington

No longer any Triumphs in the garage
but there is a bright red Mercedes SLK250

torque2me

#3 Post by torque2me » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:31 pm

kevinw wrote: The upholsterer told me at the time that he had recently retrimmed a Dolomite and had found a source of similar material, but not identical. He explained that it was "metric" not the "imperial" stuff originally used. Or in other words, if the ridges originally were 1/8th inch, the replacement stuff is 3mm. So doing a whole car looked fine, but it would be noticable if just one seat were to be done.
Kev, have you got the details of said upholsterer?

Kev
There was talk some years ago of, I think, the Dolomite Club commissioning re manufactured covers, but a survey of members, including a full page item in SIXappeal showed that it was not viable.

Kevin

kevinw

#4 Post by kevinw » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Unfortunately, he has closed down. He worked from a number of temporary premises close to Bishops' Waltham in Hampshire and at one time was called "Seats Galore". Peopel often thought that he sold parts for Spanish cars now built by VW.

I do recall that there were 2 colours definitely available at the time - black and chocolate brown.

Kevin
Kevin Warrington

No longer any Triumphs in the garage
but there is a bright red Mercedes SLK250

torque2me

#5 Post by torque2me » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:39 pm

kevinw wrote:Unfortunately, he has closed down. He worked from a number of temporary premises close to Bishops' Waltham in Hampshire and at one time was called "Seats Galore". Peopel often thought that he sold parts for Spanish cars now built by VW.

I do recall that there were 2 colours definitely available at the time - black and chocolate brown.

Kevin
Many Triumphs also had the Biscuit (light beigh).

Kev

BP2500Estate

#6 Post by BP2500Estate » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:52 pm

If further information on the cloth "Nyloncord" Black comes up, it would be helpful for me too. I am looking to recover my 1973 estate seats. Thanks
Brian P
1973 250 PI MK2 Estate Wagon Sapphire Blue
1968 TR 250 Royal Blue

torque2me

#7 Post by torque2me » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:18 pm

BP2500Estate wrote:If further information on the cloth "Nyloncord" Black comes up, it would be helpful for me too. I am looking to recover my 1973 estate seats. Thanks
I might have a set of "nearly new" from a 1976/77 vehicle. Not 100% sure if they are estate or saloon but have kept them in case I had to do a colour change due to no biscuit.

Kev

BP2500Estate

#8 Post by BP2500Estate » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Sorry for the late response, would you consider selling the covers? I think the main difference between 1973 and 1976 is headrest, is this correct? I am not sure how to tell the estate rear seat difference between the saloon.
Regards
Brian
Brian P
1973 250 PI MK2 Estate Wagon Sapphire Blue
1968 TR 250 Royal Blue

torque2me

#9 Post by torque2me » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:03 pm

Well, I've still got the seats stored in one of the garages so they can be made available. I've got a couple of weeks a/l to take during December so I'll root them out to check them over and what type the rears are. Difference is estate rear back is solid whereas the rear saloon back is wire.

Kev