Mk2 Front Wings.

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Lloydpiestate

Re: Mk2 Front Wings.

#21 Post by Lloydpiestate » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 pm

i tried 7 times to contact radford panels, leaving messages with no reply !!!
as ted says, even if we could get hold off them, dosent inspire confidence for future dealings, and unless anyone can correct me, im pretty sure radford are busy suppling rimmers with panels, but i may be wrong ?
i will know at the end of this month ( just before the stoneleigh meeting ) what the position of getting panels made is and what panels can be done , ive been assured that front wing arch repairs, rear arch repairs, inner wheel arches again for front and rear, front wing lower corner sections, floor pans, riggers, bootfloors plus loads more once production is underway.
in order to get these panels as near to factory spec as possible, im hoping club members will dig out any nos panels or good s/h ones they have so they can be used as templates, i have even offered one of my cars that i have sat here awaiting resto so he has every panel at view plus then he can see what the fitment lines etc should be like.
i alone have 3 cars awaiting resto and no panels to do them with, so goodness how many more of you are in the same sticky situation as me.
earlparts have the tooling to help us ( not to mention themselves and thier bank balance ) but choose not to, MADNESS !!!!
DONT FORGET TO EMAIL TED IF YOU WANT TO ATTEND THE STONELEIGH MEETING.
all the best triumph lovers
lloyd

Steve G

#22 Post by Steve G » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm

I've been looking round for companies who can make panels, there is actually a fair few.
I am hoping to go along to the meeting, will have to re-new my membership first though probably.

I was going to ring a few places up but there is little point is a lot of the work has already been done.

I don't know if you want to say who it is you are hoping to use but do you know how they go about producing the panels ? I have used computer measuring tools in the past (not sure what you call them now though) and would imagine that would be the easiest way to get the dimensions. I've been involved with engineering and cars in the past but not had anything to do with panel production so I'm learning more from reading about it.

tony

#23 Post by tony » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Unfortunately they're not sitting around much any more, I alone am guilty of disposing of about 8 over the years. Trouble for most of us is storage. Most end up with the crusher.
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.
1998 Rover 600

Steve G

#24 Post by Steve G » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm

I broke one years ago now and saved what I could. Trouble is the repair panels were easily available then so although I kept the doors and boot lid I didn't think to save the wings. They wern't brilliant anyway but it's still a shame.

Richard B

#25 Post by Richard B » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Ted I sent you a pm via the Club Triumph forum.

I do have some NOS wings that could be used (non-destructively) as templates.

Not for sale before anybody asks as they are earmarked for projects.

Who do TD Fitchett use to press their panels?
Richard
Compulsive PI'er :)
MkI PI Saloon, MkII PI Saloon (stalled Restoration), MkI PI Estate, MkIII Spitfire (2500PI), Stag
oh, and bought a TR250

Daughters have Heralds and a Dolomite. Son-in-laws have 2.5's

TedTaylor

#26 Post by TedTaylor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

Richard B wrote:Ted I sent you a pm via the Club Triumph forum.

I do have some NOS wings that could be used (non-destructively) as templates.

Not for sale before anybody asks as they are earmarked for projects.

Who do TD Fitchett use to press their panels?
Yes got that Richard and thanks and will reply by PM .

I have a feeling that Fitchett has mainly NOS, and think that any new stuff comes from Earlpart - if they let him have it? CW gets sills done elsewhere (there are a couple of sources) but even one of those is stopping.

Lloyd from Cardiff is on the hunt for a couple of manufacturing options - we can discuss at the meeting how we will proceed.

Ted
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Richard B

#27 Post by Richard B » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:36 am

There must be some large pressing facilities somewhere? Where do the GT6 bonnets come from?
Richard
MkI PI Saloon, MkII PI Saloon (stalled Restoration), MkI PI Estate, MkIII Spitfire (2500PI), Stag
oh, and bought a TR250

TedTaylor

#28 Post by TedTaylor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Richard B wrote:There must be some large pressing facilities somewhere? Where do the GT6 bonnets come from?
Yes there are large pressing facilities around no doubt seeking work. Unfortunately you need the press tools, and the only person who possesses them will not now let them out of his possession to get anyone else to do the work because the last time they did this the tooling was mis-treated. Hence all their statements (which have been going on for four years and are no further on with resolution) about getting a press shop built.

The only resolution (and a vital one because the destruction rate of cars is increasing because of lack of wings/wing repair sections) is for us to get repair sections made for which there are a number of people out there with the ability to do it (and is being investigated with some success). Quality and price will however have to be very carefully checked out.

Whole wings will be a major problem unless done on the proper tooling so that one is in the lap of the gods.

Questions about buying the tooling etc. are a non starter due to cost and willingness of the owner to part with said items...... However in the unlikely event of it being made available to purchase it is something for the spares group/fund (assuming it happens which is highly likely) to seriously consider.

Ted
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Richard B

#29 Post by Richard B » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks Ted that explains the situation a bit better.

There was a process where 'short lived' molds could be made from existing panels. I recall that up to a 100 pressings could be made before the die had to be melted and recreated.

Is this what you are looking into?
Richard
oh, and bought a TR250