Mk1 Boot Lid seal fitting - advice needed please

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
tony.rayns
Groupie
Groupie
Mk1 Boot Lid seal fitting - advice needed please

#1 Post by tony.rayns » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am

Hi fellow triumphant enthusiasts,

I've got to the stage now in my restoration where I need to fit the boot lid seal. Problem is that the original one was removed years ago for spraying and I live in France so don't have access to another Mk1 for reference.
So, has anyone got any do's or don'ts please?

Fit seal with boot lid fitted or on the didning table?

I've thought about climbing in, closing the boot lid and marking it where it needs to fit but I'm not sure the missus would let me out lol!

Anyway, your advice is most welcome - good, bad or indifferent!
Tony

Member No 4250
Current moneypit is Mk1 PI Valencia Blue AMX 10H

wild bill

Re: Mk1 Boot Lid seal fitting - advice needed please

#2 Post by wild bill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Hello Tony,
This issue has been previously well documented,I'll go from memory.
I think the Dining table is preferred, if wife willing, means you can glue and set in the right place without gravity taking effect(seems to be happening with my body, all heading South)
Also a train of thought of fitting a suitable seal to the body itself, around the boot hole upstand,which would also make sense.With the original glued in place, there is always the chance of the seal "turning back over" at the corners.
Have a browse about,I'm sure you will find info to suit.
Good Luck..
Bill.
Bill Young
1967 MK1 2000 MSS8E
1971 minivan IUI1588
1981 minivan TDS40W Now PMY453W
1962Greeves Sports Tourer 24DC 114 GGD
1998 Honda CB750, Deep Candy Apple Red.13500 Miles R191DVR
2020 Renault Trafic crew van 12 Miles 02-11-2020 TDS40W

Clifford Pope

#3 Post by Clifford Pope » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:07 am

I've just been out to look at mine, and am impressed by the design and functionality. I've never really looked at it before.
Fitting does look pretty straightforwards. The seal sits wedged against the shoulder of the lid, in the angle between the flat lip and the thicker structure, and then on closing the half-inch or so of rubber presses firmly against the thin lip to the channel. I can see from the slight compression line that mine has a good even pressure all the way round, and clearly does an excellent job.

The lower section, where the catch is, works in a slightly different way because of the different movement of lid against body lip . It's a sort of scuffing movement, as the foam wedges itself against the upper side of the lip rather than edge-on along the other 3 sides. There's rather ambiguous sort of change-over at the corners, which I image gradually wears/squashes to accommodate itself as a new seal gets used.

I can't see any benefit from attempting to fix the seal to the lip rather than the lid. It would need to be a different profile, incorporating a slot to locate itself over the lip edge.
Early cars didn't have the drain tubes. My previous car was like that. It didn't matter except when parked facing downhill, when opening the boot after rain let the contents of the front channel overflow into the boot.

tony.rayns
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by tony.rayns » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi Bill / Clifford,

Thanks for the advice, I've trawled through all the old posts and can find plenty relating to the fitting of door seals but none for the Mk1 boot lid seal.

Anyway, I intend to get inside the boot (when I've earned some browny points with the missus so she lets me out again!) and mark the underside of the boot lid where the seal should be, remove boot lid place on dinning table and bond the seal to the mark line using a good contact adhesive. Now this sounds like a decent plan but the resto has been ongoing that long I can't remember whether the rebate in the rubber seal when fitted faces outwards or inwards?

Thanks again...........
Tony
Tony

Member No 4250
Current moneypit is Mk1 PI Valencia Blue AMX 10H

Baller
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by Baller » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:17 pm

I still seem to be struggling with mine , got the seal from Chris , It looks right but when bonded on it won't shut , it is pushing up on the longest edge closed to the window , has anybody got any pics with the boot up showing the seal in place , any more tips and advice would be truly grateful

Firewatcher
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by Firewatcher » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi, Thought I had one somewhere - original as fitted and looks as if it seated all round
Pete
Attachments
Boot Seal 1.jpg

Firewatcher
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by Firewatcher » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi Again, Posted 5 pics but seems only the one showing. The others show the boot hinge side along the side and around the latch. Let me know if you want them. But it's snug to the raised section all round.
Pete

Clifford Pope

#8 Post by Clifford Pope » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:07 am

These show the corner by the hinge, and the bottom corner at the catch edge.

As I said before, the seal presses flat against the sharp projecting lip running round 3 sidesof the opening. You can see the slight depression in the rubber caused by sitting compressed over the years. The indentation is even all around the 3 sides.

Along the bottom edge, ie the latch side, the seal simply squeezes underneath the lip. At that point it doesn't have to do much to stop water, simply fill the air gap.
You can see the transition at the corner - the compression groove along the rubber runs off the edge of the rubber.

When I fitted a new seal once I recall that the problem was not so much gravity as the slightly stretched loop of rubber wanting to jump off at the corners.
I glued 3 sides, pressed it into position, then partly-closed the lid reaching my arm underneath to make sure the rubber hadn't jumped out. I then shut the lidand let the glue dry.
Then I pulled the un-glued edge clear a bit and spread glue, then shut the lid .
Attachments
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG

Baller
Groupie
Groupie

#9 Post by Baller » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks for the advice , I shall give it another go , hope to look like this afterwards :D