PI fuel pump service

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
NewShed
Groupie
Groupie

#1 Post by NewShed » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:35 pm

I have a couple of PI fuel pumps, of a unknown history, so I want to service them.<br>Earlier this week I received a copy of the register service notes and the Lucas manual, so I have no problems in doing the work, but my problem comes when specifying parts.<br>Does anyone have part numbers for brushes, brush plate, O rings and armature seal?<br>Also, tips on where to buy parts would be appreciated.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Steve<br>

Red2000E
Groupie
Groupie

#2 Post by Red2000E » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:45 am

Malcolm Jones at prestige injection services is your man for supply of the parts. NOS is probably of no use for the rubber bits as the new rubber needs to be suitable for use with unleaded fuel.
David

NewShed
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by NewShed » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:15 pm

David, thanks for the tip about prestige injection, the main parts I want to buy are the O rings and shaft seal. <br>I see prestige injection sell these, but at £1.70 per O ring with three required per pump and a total of three pumps I want to service (two electric and one belt) I want to check first to see if I can get a better deal elsewhere.<br><br>Steve<br>

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:59 pm

[QUOTE=NewShed]
I see prestige injection sell these, but at £1.70 per O ring with three required per pump and a total of three pumps I want to service (two electric and one belt) I want to check first to see if I can get a better deal elsewhere.
[/QUOTE]
The \'O\' rings will be a standard size (imperial I expect).&nbsp; It is then a case of finding what the size is.&nbsp; I think the parts book lists the m Vs Triumph part numbers but getting from there to an \'O\' ring size might be interesting.&nbsp; You could try measuring an existing \'O\' ring and then getting new ones to suit.&nbsp; The material is important for use with unleaded, but&nbsp;I can\'t remember what the correct material is!&nbsp; Someone else here will know, or a look on the internet will soon find the info.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Mike.

Peter Douglas W

#5 Post by Peter Douglas W » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Don\'t forget you have to run the pump in. Spray some WT40 into the pump and connect it to a battery. Watch the current when the sound changes spray some more oil in and carry on after about 15 to 30 mins the current suddenly drops. It is now run in. Noway should you drop a pump because the top cover is so difficult to readjust. If you think the cover is not sitting square the use a rubber hammer very lightly and see what happens to the current when running. The current tells you everything for these pumps. Warning never take the magnets out the danger of breakage is so high it is not worth doing it.