Coil confusion

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Forkie
Re: Coil confusion

#11 Post by Forkie » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:48 pm

By the way - the proverbial kitchen table still claims the aforementioned items, as i await the latest reply for two reasons ; ( the better half will be fine, as no oil anywhere in sight) and i would really like to get to the bottom of why i cannot seem to carry out Test two....

P.S. - the only markings on the coil are a label, stating ' Lucas Classic' dlb110. The 9 V comment was actually on C.W. bill. No wonder i get confussed !!!!!
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

Alec

#12 Post by Alec » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:46 am

Hello Forkie,

I'm not familiar with that particular multimeter, but it must be set on the very lowest ohms setting. 200K is a high resistance and I suspect is the wrong setting?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Forkie

#13 Post by Forkie » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:58 pm

Hi Alec,
Again, i am just following Mikes guide..... ref his page in 244, on the right he shows pics - both tests he advises to set at '200k', although having yet another look now, his 'dial' type meter is clearly set at different positions, but the decimal point remains in the same place....

So this eve i have taken your advice and moved the switch to the max upwards, which reads 2k , and have a reading from both L.T. of 003, (no decimal point showing) either way, on the new coil. Which does not correspond with Mike's suggestion of a ballast resistor coil should read ' 1.3 to 2. ).

Keep it coming Alec, i would very much like to get my head around this !!!!
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#14 Post by Forkie » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:50 pm

So an update - on changing the coil, no difference has been noticed at all .
Member Number 7392 04/07

Alec

#15 Post by Alec » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:30 am

Hello Forkie,

I missed your post of the 4th August so did not reply, sorry.
You are going the wrong way, you need to set to the lowest resistance scale available, it may be that it is shown as 0 to 200 kilohms. Meters vary in their dials so I can't be specific, and many are multi ranging automatically. If you set to ohms and touch the two lead tips together it shoud read around zero. It may read say one ohm however so you would need to subtract that when you do a measurement on the coil. From that you can see that multimeters are not the best for measuring low resistance if you are looking for 1.3 to 2 ohms. Make sure tyou are making a good contact also, which may need some pressure especially if there is corrosion present
With the old fashioned AVOmeter you couls set the resistance to zero when doing the lead shorting check. Good meters but big and slightly clumsy.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.