Electronic ignition module

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Roscoe
Groupie
Groupie
Electronic ignition module

#1 Post by Roscoe » Wed May 24, 2023 5:50 pm

I have fitted an electronic ignition module that screws to the distributor base plate and uses a pickup on the spindle to send a signal to the coil (I assume). Does anyone know if there is an adapter or something that makes the rev counter read properly because at the moment it’s wildly inaccurate sometimes swinging from 1000 to the red zone.

Charles H

Re: Electronic ignition module

#2 Post by Charles H » Thu May 25, 2023 8:00 am

It depends on if you have early or late instruments. Later instruments should not be affected, but the early ones are. The only electronic ignition system I have found that does not mess up the rev counter is the Aldon Ignitor system from Pertronix. Available from CW, Distributor Doctor and others. More expensive of course, but it works!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

iani

#3 Post by iani » Thu May 25, 2023 12:23 pm

You can always have the tacho upgraded, Speedy Cables or Speedograph Richfield could help, perhaps one of these https://spiyda.com/smiths-rvi-rvc-conversion-board.html might do for you. The Pertronix setup is reportedly more reliable, I had a failure on one when I briefly ran it on my TR6 though, it was swapped out under warranty quickly enough, be careful with pertronix or similar to not leave the ignition powered up without starting, the units burnout very quickly. I prefer 123 for this reason, it has built in protection and shuts itself down if no start within one minute.
1966 2000 Mk1 Estate - Cherry Red (2.5 PI conversion)
1968 Mk1 GT6 - Wedgewood, 2.5l Triple DCOEs
1973 2.5 PI Saloon - Honeysuckle

Roscoe
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Roscoe » Thu May 25, 2023 5:33 pm

Thanks for reply’s powerspark who I purchased it from has said depends which rev counter it is,and it is a RVI type which have an induction loop on the feed to the coil + and are known to cause problems to the rev counter. They have given me a link to spiyda who apparently have a conversion board to convert the rev counter to the later RVC type which I might consider.