rocker shaft, pushrod ?

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
valencia
rocker shaft, pushrod ?

#1 Post by valencia » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:36 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I'm on holiday in Germany in my 2000 (the Black Forest) but unfortunately it's developed a fault. Yesterday there was noticable tapping from the engine and while still pulling well the exhaust note was different, uneven I would say. I've had to reset the valve clearance on number 1 cylinder twice now, it was much too wide but I'm still getting some excessive noise, it sounds a little squeaky now.
pushrod.JPG
So I took off the rocker cover again and noticed that the first rocker and possibly the 2nd are not getting oil, at least it looks like that on the image. The first ball end looks dry to me and the rocker had a sooty appearance,(getting hot ?).
Does my assumption seem feasable ? Any idea why this might happen and what can I do remedy it and still drive home again ? I'm not due to drive back to the uk till 1st Oct. Any help and suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael.

valencia

Re: rocker shaft, pushrod ?

#2 Post by valencia » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:44 pm

I would add I have spent this last few months using the car regularly to make sure everything is ok but now it's had to cover over a 1000 miles in a matter of days and it's not happy. Oh dear, I though t I had been thorough but there's always the unexpected.
Cheers,
Michael.

johnnydog

#3 Post by johnnydog » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:56 pm

It certainly looks dry as a bone! I think at the very least, I would unscrew the rocker ball pin as much as you can with that valve closed, and see if the rocker moves freely. The only other thing you could do is to remove the rocker shaft, which isnt a big job, and see if there is sufficient sideways movement on that and the adjacent pedestal and rockers to see if the oil hole is blocked on the offending rocker.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

valencia

#4 Post by valencia » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:36 pm

Hello John, thanks for replying,
so as you say a bit of dismantling and try to clean it to restore the oil flow. I'm going to have a go at it in the morning as I have somewhere to work on it where I'm staying.
My German hosts (farmers) are quite freindly and have offered to get their tractor mechanic to have a look tomorrow evening but I hope to have it sorted by then, I really don't want to be on a transporter if it can be avoided. I'll let you know how it goes, many thanks,
Michael

Alec

#5 Post by Alec » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:54 am

Hello Michael,

is the dryness confined to the front of the rocker shaft only? That at least would show that oil is getting to the rocker shaft and that it is probably a blocked oil hole at the front. Just athought, is the rocker shaft locating screw (in the pedestal) in place? If it has dropped out pressure will be lost and as the number one is furthest from the feed that would be starved first?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

valencia

#6 Post by valencia » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:28 am

Thanks Alec, I have had a look this morning and dismantled the shaft, exactly as you say, the screw is missing so it's rocker 1-6 that have suffered, I need a new shaft and rockers, trying to contact Chris Witior now to see how quick delivery is.
Thanks,
Michael

valencia

#7 Post by valencia » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:55 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm glad to say the car is ok now. I have replaced the missing screw in the rocker shaft with a 5mm one, (it's a close fit), I've locked it in place with a nut and washer up against the shaft as well and I now have oil emerging from the shaft all the way along. It was still running a little rough afterwards but I didn't get the valve clearances quite right, after resetting them all the car is now performing well. I have covered about 200km today without issues.
I would also mention Chris Witor's assistance with his advice, always ready to help, we're lucky to have him.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Michael

Charles H

#8 Post by Charles H » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:54 am

Good to hear you are back up and running.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE