HELP! Where has it gone? A comedy.

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
johnconradlee
HELP! Where has it gone? A comedy.

#1 Post by johnconradlee » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:56 pm

One of those evenings where I thought I'd slip out to the garage and do a bit of of work on the car and now wish I hadn't. Fitting my new rocker shaft and rockers. Then went to adjust the tappets. The engine didn't want to turn over by hand which was odd. I didn't want to bend the fan so cranked her over on the starter - I'm a muppet! : :oops: It appears the thread for adjusting the tappets is a fair bit longer than on the original and I hadn't slackened them off since they came out of the box and some were fully extended. Consequently pistons and valves were fighting for the same space which thankfully transferred the force to the pushrods :( some of which are now bent like a banana (thankyou MK1 spindley pushrods!). Having checked the valves looked OK and nothing else was broken and just as I was trying to reassure myself that pushrods are cheap and I hadn't killed the car, I managed to drop a tappet nut down the inlet pushrod tube on cylinder 4. At this point I should have gone in and come back another day. Magnet on a stick didn't fit so I tried to fish it out with a bit of threaded rod slightly smaller than the thread of the nut. Managed to flick the nut round the right way, got the rod in the middle pushed it against the side and lifted carefully. I got reasonably far, then lost my grip and it landed on the edge of the cam follower. In trying to get hold of it again I flicked it down the oil hole further into the block. I heard it hit something as it fell, which sounded a fair way down. :cry:
Can someone please confirm my assumption its going to have ended up in the sump, presumably having bounced off the crank on the way past? Or if not where that hole goes and how much engine I need to disassemble to get the nut back?
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

johnnydog

Re: HELP! Where has it gone? A comedy.

#2 Post by johnnydog » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:24 pm

Not sure whether it is of any consolation, but.....
When I first got my S, it had a standard drain plug in the sump. A few oil changes later, I decided to fit a magnetic sump plug, mainly because the hex nut is a lot easier to remove compared with the tapered square head of the original, and secondly, I thought it would pick up any unwanted swarf....
At the next oil change, I duly removed the sump plug, and to my surprise, an uninvited visitor had attached itself to it. After a bit of head scratching and 'I've seen one of those before....', I recognised it as the cross headed countersunk machine screw from the rockershaft. Fortunately, the rockershaft still had one fitted, so how had it got in the sump? As the mileage on the car was only in the mid 40's (no guarantee, I know...) and it was not apparent it had had any major surgery, I can only presume that the screw had somehow been there since manufacture. How it got there remains a mystery, but it doesn't seem to have caused any issues, and could well have been still in the sump today had it not been for the magnetic drain plug.
Not exactly the same as your problem, but the path it took is probably similar. I can only think that this machine screw was lost whilst the engine was being assembled new with the cylinder head in place, maybe as the rocker assembly was being fitted which found its way into the sump via an oilway from the cylinder head.
Food for thought...?
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

valencia

#3 Post by valencia » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Pop the sump off and have a look, set your mind at rest, of course if it's not there you're still no further on. Also- does the engine now turn freely ?
I think many people have done something similar, I once dropped the top of a spark plug inside the cylinder on a Citroen 2cv, it stopped the engine turning, I sucked it out with a small pipe sellotaped to a vacuum cleaner, let us know how you get on,
Michael

Clifford Pope

#4 Post by Clifford Pope » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:57 pm

Can you push something like a wire coathanger down the hole to confirm where it goes and how far?

johnnydog

#5 Post by johnnydog » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:22 pm

I find using an old Triumph inner speedo cable ideal for this type of thing - any drain holes such as sunroof drains (on modern cars obviously!), drains in the boot lid aperture, and drain holes in the leading edge of the sills etc etc. They are flexible enough to follow any curves or changes in direction, but firm enough to 'hold their own' without causing any damage or marking any surface. Plus they are long enough to usually reach where needed.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:50 pm

I do as JD does but with a bit of curtain wire, or even a MiG torch wire liner!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

johnconradlee

#7 Post by johnconradlee » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:46 pm

I've got an old 4m steel MIG torch liner in the garage somewhere - I'll try carefully poking that down.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

johnconradlee

#8 Post by johnconradlee » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:27 pm

I spent quite a long time trying to find the hole the nut had disappeared down.
Firstly I was checked it had definitely gone down and definitely not sideways as the pushrods are in groups of 3 in the block with a gap between (like the cut-outs on the head gasket) so conceivably it could have been out of view down the other end somewhere - it wasn't.
Then I had to find the hole. The problem is you can't actually see much with the head on the engine and I really did not want to take the head off again. After a lot of poking with my my trusty blue MIG torch liner I found the hole next to the cam follower in the wider gap pretty much in line with the rocker pedestal (see annotated picture below). This hole goes down a few inches, then you hit something which I assume is the cam shaft where it runs through the block. With a bit more wiggling the hole then continues off at an angle you then go down a long way before the clonk as the end of the MIG torch liner hits the sump - so yes it does end up in the sump!
Head.jpg
John Lee

johnconradlee

#9 Post by johnconradlee » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:30 pm

And after much swearing and getting totally plastered in 54 years of oily goo I got the sump off and there in the middle is the blooming nut! (scratch to the left in the oily layer in the sump from the MIG torch liner).
Success! :D
Sump.jpg
John Lee

wild bill

#10 Post by wild bill » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Well done John,your mind is now at rest, and no doubt your sump pan is now very clean! Good to see it made it all the way downwind probably :?: wouldn't have caused harm If you had surmised it went into the sump, but weren't actually sure,I am certain you would not rest easy Congratulations,now for a celebratory drink and a good night's sleep.Feel free if you want to do the same :lol: :mrgreen:
Bill Young
1967 MK1 2000 MSS8E
1971 minivan IUI1588
1981 minivan TDS40W Now PMY453W
1962Greeves Sports Tourer 24DC 114 GGD
1998 Honda CB750, Deep Candy Apple Red.13500 Miles R191DVR
2020 Renault Trafic crew van 12 Miles 02-11-2020 TDS40W