Automatic 1971 2000 MKII

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Umquat

#11 Post by Umquat » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 pm

I too recall a tale (true or not I cant be sure but needless to say that one day the car was on the road and the next it very definitely wasnt), of an old school friend who managed to engage reverse at speed on the Nottingham ring road in a Spitfire. Needless to say most of the engine and gearbox exited through respective casings, and left rather a mess.
Regards
Gavin

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:01 pm

I can tell a true tale of much the same.  I know it\'s true \'cos I did it!  A friend has Jag XJ6 series 1 (Daimler badged) and he got me to drive it as it had an engine misfire problem.  We got down the road and I wanted to put it into \'N\' so I could blip the engine to try to clear it.  The selector was VERY stiff and when it finally moved, it went through \'N\' to \'R\'!  The back wheels made a lovely screech as they went backwards (or maybe just stopped).  Funny, he\'s not asked me to drive it again.  Hmm...
The only Auto Triumph I\'ve had was the 1977 \'S\' estate with BW65.  The kickdown on that I adjusted at the throttle end.  Basically I just got the idle speed right and then set the kickdown \'by the book\'.  Then it was a metter of small adjustments to get it the way I liked it.  Gearchanges not including AND including kickdown were then fine!
Cheers, Mike.