replacement radiator

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
valencia
Re: replacement radiator

#21 Post by valencia » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am

You may have a point about the size, I'm not sure about the thickness or number of rows in the Suzuki rad but it's actual surface area is a little smaller than the Triumph unit, maybe not a problem in Lancashire this time of year when the temp gauge struggles to get halfway up but it will be interesting when I'm stuck in a traffic jam next year IF we have another nice summer over here, I do also have a manually switched electric fan. (Meanwhile, no sign of the tyres yet !)
Cheers,
Michael

valencia

#22 Post by valencia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi everyone,
I have fitted the Suzuki Vitara rad now and everything temp wise seems ok, the gauge only gets up about a third of the way this time of the year. I had to buy two 90° elbows and a 180° pipe, also a 100mm long 32mm steel link pipe, the elbows are of the reducer type 32-28mm. The most difficult part was the brackets which I have made myself, the Suzuki mountings are on the engine side of the rad, I have used the original holes in the front panel (as I didn't want to drill the bodywork) and bolted right angle brackets to them, I then welded horizontal extensions to the brackets across the front of the rad and welded a U shaped bracket to the extention which connects on the rear of the rad. It would have been neater to have mountings across the back of the rad but they would foul the bottom outlet. All in all a bit fiddley but it does the job, I'll have to see how it performs in summer but for now I'm happy with it.
My tyres I mentioned also turned up, they came all the way from Dijon when I tracked the parcel, took about 10 days which was good, it gave me time to clean, de-rust and paint the rims.
Thanks for everyones suggestions on this modification.
Michael.

valencia

#23 Post by valencia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 pm

The attachment DSC_0667 - Copy (Small).JPG is no longer available
Attachments
DSC_0667 - Copy (Small).JPG

valencia

#24 Post by valencia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:48 pm

DSC_0650 - Copy (Small).JPG

sprint95m

#25 Post by sprint95m » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am

That looks a good fitment Michael.

The long top hose will comfortably absorb the movement of the engine.

I cannot tell from the photo, but I wonder if the radiator is a little low relative to the top of the engine?
Obviously if it is so, you simply jack the front of the car up when filling the system to overcome this
and the weekly check for level can be carried out by squeezing the top hose.

Ian.
Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).

valencia

#26 Post by valencia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:21 pm

It is a little lower than original, any higher and the cap fouls the front panel flange, but I'll see how I go on when topping up, all my pipe work came from auto silicone hoses, they do a good range of stuff.
Michael