Mix & match carb parts?

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Llessur
Mix & match carb parts?

#1 Post by Llessur » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 am

I'm currently rebuilding a pair of HS6s for my 2500S. I have a second set of HS6s which have the later HIF-style twin track ball roller bearing dashpot/piston arrangement which I understood was designed to reduce friction in the piston/damper rod assembly and eliminate the possibility of the piston sticking. They have a larger diameter spring too.

Is there any downside to swapping the pistons and dashpots over from the other set of carbs to the ones I'm rebuilding? The ones I working on have had new throttle spindle bushings fitted so I don't want to rebuild the other set.

Lots of carb rebuilding guides seem to state that you shouldn't swap moving components around in case they have developed different wear profiles over the years, but would it be worth breaking the rule in this case to use the more advanced dashpot/piston assemblies?
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/

Alec

Re: Mix & match carb parts?

#2 Post by Alec » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:54 am

Hello Llessur,

I don't see any problem with what you are suggesting. Some parts are more critical than otheres so swapping pistons between different dash pots is generally accepted as not being a good idea for instance but complete assemblies should not be a problem.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.