Electronic ignition

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Ltriumph
Groupie
Groupie
Electronic ignition

#1 Post by Ltriumph » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the forum before (couldn't find it)- I want to change to electronic ignition. I can get hold of a Petronix system in NZ, is there better or is that system ok? I have a 2000TC, 1978, manual.
Triumph TC 2000 1978
Triumph Bonneville T120 2018

Phil T

Re: Electronic ignition

#2 Post by Phil T » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:38 am

These people are reputed to be very good.

https://simonbbc.com/

Joe™
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Joe™ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:37 am

I previously had a Petronix unit which was fine, but have since switched to a 123ignition electronic distributor - https://www.123ignitionshop.com/ - which is noticeable smoother, and I like having the option of adjusting the advance. I have the standard Tune but you can also get the Tune+ if you want to create your own ignition advance curve.

tony

#4 Post by tony » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Nothing wrong with the Pertronix unit. Have fitted them to all my Triumphs and a big improvement on points and condenser.
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Charles H

#5 Post by Charles H » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:00 pm

I think the Pertronix is the same as Aldon. The Aldon is a great bit of kit. All my Triumphs have them. I did try a much cheaper Simon BBC one once. The early cars rev counter does not work with it! Aldon would be my advice.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Clifford Pope

#6 Post by Clifford Pope » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:38 am

I must try again with Petronix. I had a frustrating experience trying to fit it a few years ago. It seemed as if I'd been sold the wrong kit - the timing was about 30 degrees out, and non-adjustable. The fixing hole in the plate was in the wrong place, and I gave up trying to work out where it should be.

A final annoyance was that the instructions said that if the rotating bit was rubbing on the pick-up, or closer than about 25thou, the hole should be elongated to increase the gap. When I sent the kit back to say it appeared to be the wrong one they refused a refund because I had followed this advice and modified the hole.

I got the kit back again but have never tried to see if I can make it work. It hardly seems worthwhile now the standard points are working well.

Ltriumph
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by Ltriumph » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 am

A mechanic has suggested a 'drop in' as opposed to a kit, if that makes sense. Can anyone suggest a brand for that. I noticed there is a Chinese brand called Sherryberg that has one available but a bit nervous about putting an unknown brand in my car.
Triumph TC 2000 1978
Triumph Bonneville T120 2018

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:32 pm

https://www.classicheads.com/Electronic-Ignition/
Both my Triumphs have been fitted with a kit from these guys, and have never missed a beat in over 10 yrs in the blue car, and over 15 yrs in the red car. I have never had to adjust anything once they were set up, they have been completely reliable, I would never go back to points and condenser. All the "gubbins" of the kit are under the dizzy cap, so a cursory glance under the bonnet everything looks standard. I have also bypassed the ballast resistor and fitted a 12v coil, along with a modern 'red' rotor arm.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

torque2me

#9 Post by torque2me » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:38 am
I must try again with Petronix. I had a frustrating experience trying to fit it a few years ago. It seemed as if I'd been sold the wrong kit - the timing was about 30 degrees out, and non-adjustable. The fixing hole in the plate was in the wrong place, and I gave up trying to work out where it should be.

A final annoyance was that the instructions said that if the rotating bit was rubbing on the pick-up, or closer than about 25thou, the hole should be elongated to increase the gap. When I sent the kit back to say it appeared to be the wrong one they refused a refund because I had followed this advice and modified the hole.

I got the kit back again but have never tried to see if I can make it work. It hardly seems worthwhile now the standard points are working well.
Issue summons in the Small Claims Court and see if that doesn't get their interest.

Hint: Companies cannot represent themselves in court and thus they will need the service of a Barrister. What do they charge of a 1/2 day? A no brainer. Of course it all depends on how much you want one's nose put out simply to bring that company to heel!

Kev