Cylinder head/head gasket?

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
GSouthee
Groupie
Groupie
Cylinder head/head gasket?

#1 Post by GSouthee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 am

Hi having fully rebuilt my engine, 60 thou rebore, new cam, skimmed head etc I have run it for approx. 250 miles now and I have noticed on a few occasions some smell runs of what appears to be oil running down the side of the block from the mating face of the head and block, looking at them it also appears that they are roughly in line with what would be the oil galleries for the cam return oil ways. Now as these are not under pressure, I wonder what is causing this. could it be the gasket not seating properly? Not getting any oil in water or vice versa. Other than oil runs all good on runs.

I also note from somewhere (cant remember where) that a standard gasket is no good for a 60 thou rebore.

Any ideas please.

Cheers Gary
1949 Ac saloon with 2.6 Triumph engine/gearbox.
1997 Chevy Astro tin top van
1955 AC saloon pickup project also to be Triumph powered.

A car is not an investment it is for driving and playing with :P

Peter Douglas W

Re: Cylinder head/head gasket?

#2 Post by Peter Douglas W » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:17 pm

On my TR I have had a 60 thou rebore. I do not have any oil from the gasket but the plugs seem to have oil leaking. I will try annd find out from my mechanic if he used a special gasket. No promises.
Peter Douglas Winn
A happy Triumph owner.

GSouthee
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Cylinder head/head gasket?

#3 Post by GSouthee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Cheers Peter

I have since found a thread on the TR forum which states that this is a fairly common problem with some gaskets as no copper seals around the oil galleries so not always fully compressed and a slight leak such as mine is not the end of the world. However I will get fed up wiping it off after a long run. I have found some gaskets in USA that cater fpor the bigger bore and have copper seling rings around the oil ways, about 140 dollars, also Chris Witor do a gasket suitable for the 60thou rebore but it does not appear to have copper sealing rings. I will ring him and find out if any good as they are only about £35.

Cheers

Gary
1949 Ac saloon with 2.6 Triumph engine/gearbox.
1997 Chevy Astro tin top van
1955 AC saloon pickup project also to be Triumph powered.

A car is not an investment it is for driving and playing with :P