Green Clips

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Peter Douglas W
Green Clips

#1 Post by Peter Douglas W » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 am

Does anybody have a solution, for replacement of the green clip that keeps the heater control cable in place. It is the one near to the control lever on a MK II heater: My hands are too big for the space and I have not found a tool that could be used. The clip is simular (but not the same) as the crooked clip used to hold the accelerator cable near to the carbs. If I had enough space, a short tap with a rubber hammer would suffice.
Peter Douglas Winn
A happy Triumph owner.

Alec

Re: Green Clips

#2 Post by Alec » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 am

Hello Peter,

I've just noticed this. I don't remember how these go but is a small pair of pliers an option?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:38 am

Luckily I have small enough hands to be able to squeeze one in through the ash tray enclosure - when as much is taken off as possible to give some room! Even then I end up with lots of scratches. It is possible this way to then 'click' the clip back into place - but it isn't easy.

You might get pliers in there but seeing what you are doing would be difficult.

I suppose you could remove the dash and heater to get to it... :wink: Only joking!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

johnnydog

#4 Post by johnnydog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Apologies if it's me, but I'm not clear which cable you are trying to secure. At the control lever end, there is one on either side, one that controls on/off and one for the direction, and then the temperature control which is underneath the lever panel. I would suggest you will struggle with the temperature control clip without removing the heater box as its on the underside. Having just removed the centre console (and dash board) to get the heaterbox out of a MK2, I have just swapped the control lever bracket from one heaterbox to another, and out of the car it was awkward enough getting the adjustment of the cables correct so that they do what they are supposed to do! Doing it in the car would probably be difficult, I would say, especially if you have lost the correct adjustment.
As Mike says, you could remove the ashtray and mounting to gain some access, but it isn't too difficult then to remove the heater control panel facia, and then the full wood panel, which should reveal more of the cable ends and the securing clips.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red