Silicone/Braided water hoses

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Calorian
Groupie
Groupie
Silicone/Braided water hoses

#1 Post by Calorian » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi folks,

Does anyone know of any places that offer a silicone hose set for the MKii. I've split a bottom hose and figured as they need doing, by opting for silicone or metal braided I should be able to 'fix and forget'

I've seen a place that offers a MKi silicone set at around the £130 mark but not for the MKii. (Do they even differ on non-pas models?)

Cheers
Last edited by Calorian on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Triumph Blog

:: The Fleet ::
HLO 2000 MKII Manual O/D face lift, British Racing Green
BEL 2000 MKII Auto, Sapphire Blue
:: Previously ::
MLT Ice Blue MKII auto, LYL New White MKII auto and UPO Vermilion Dolomite 1850HL

Alec

Re: Silicone water hoses

#2 Post by Alec » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 am

Hello Calorian,

this company may have what you need although the description is a little vague, but worth a call:-http://www.classicsiliconehoses.com/our-products/

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Calorian
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Silicone/Braided water hoses

#3 Post by Calorian » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 am

Hi,
That's the company I had seen but they are listed as MKi hoses.
G
My Triumph Blog

:: The Fleet ::
HLO 2000 MKII Manual O/D face lift, British Racing Green
BEL 2000 MKII Auto, Sapphire Blue
:: Previously ::
MLT Ice Blue MKII auto, LYL New White MKII auto and UPO Vermilion Dolomite 1850HL

Alec

#4 Post by Alec » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 am

Hello Calorian,

yes, but they can manufacture to your specification, if you can provide a pattern..

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

johnconradlee

#5 Post by johnconradlee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:29 am

Most of the hoses are the same Mk1 and Mk2, the only ones I can think of that are different are the heater hoses (Mk1 ones are much longer) and the bottom radiator hose if you have power steering (would be simple enough to just cut the middle section out and replace with the steel bit if you have power steering).
The picture of the Classic Silicon hoses kit seem to show Mk2 heater hoses so I reckon it's a Mk2 kit.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

sprint95m

Okay....

#6 Post by sprint95m » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Silicone hoses are fit and forget or at least they should be!
Alas some folk are producing rubbish e.g. Silicon.com.

Stick to a European manufacturer, these will be 3-ply (or more on bigger bore hoses) with a good wall thickness (4 or 5 mm).

I fitted silicone hoses to a Dolomite, at a time when sets were not available, using "off the shelf" components.
On a 2000 the awkward hose if the top radiator one, all the others are straightforward to make.

In other words, you will be able to use the set (as per the link in Aleco's post),
albeit with some alterations possibly being necessary.

It is worth using proper hose clips.
To this end I use JCS (British made and top quality).
Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).

johnnydog

#7 Post by johnnydog » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:50 pm

johnconradlee wrote:Most of the hoses are the same Mk1 and Mk2, the only ones I can think of that are different are the heater hoses (Mk1 ones are much longer) and the bottom radiator hose if you have power steering (would be simple enough to just cut the middle section out and replace with the steel bit if you have power steering)
The only other difference through the range apart from John's comments above is that there were variations of the top hose from the thermostat housing to the top of the radiator. Later cars were fitted with a shorter top hose to accommodate the change of position / slant of the engine on facelift models.
You can cut a longer one down to fit, but not always stretch a shorter one..... :lol:
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

owen1183

#8 Post by owen1183 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:44 am

5 - 6 years ago I did try to set up a group buy on here for a mk11 silicon hose kit.... There was interest, but I think the price was a bit prohibative. I sent a full set of rubber hoses to a supplier and he quoted me for tooling & producing 10 sets... thats as far as it went..

I ended up buying off the shelf straight lengths and various anlges (90 degree, 45 degree etc) Straight st/st joiners & clamps and made mine to suit.

I used Derby Performace hose http://www.derbyperformancehose.co.uk/

Good quality and good customer support.

You can buy 'classic' silicon hoses too to keep the original asthetics
76' P 2500S in Honeysuckle with Manual O/D

Paul64

#9 Post by Paul64 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 am

I sent a set of rad hoses to Classic Silicone for my Mk1 2.5PI at the beginning of the year, direct from Chris Witor.
They made a set up for me and obviously now have the pattern for anyone else. They did a nice job and I'll fit them when I replace the standard fan with a VC item, also from Chris.
Also, I am using Evans Waterless Coolant. Down here in the South of France, we're regularly up to 30+C now and I have no problems with the car running too hot.
It seems to be a fit and forget product too with no more corrosion / silting up of the heater or block and new hoses, it should put an end to all those problems!

Paul