It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Timing engine.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 pm 

I have been a bit confused lately...mmmm

I have a MK1 and it seems to be difficult to time. I have tried to get it to pink and had it pinking once but since electronic ignition I don't seem to get it to pink. I understand there is a difference between static and strobe timing.

Ideally I want to have it running the best. Some people have suggested running on additives, Alan Chatterton has suggested this is not a worry but does it make any difference running on super unleaded which is nearer the original octane rating?

What are the strobe timings for each one i.e. unleaded and super unleaded. Is there much in dynamic settings. I find it difficult to get it to pink so why is this? With Powerspark electronic ignition the distributor does not have much turn to it and I wonder if this may be an issue (as you already have to have it fairly round clock wise to begin with). I can though set it to a fair advance if I want to, like 16. I am sure this will get a few responses...

When it is over advanced it started as if it is really compressed and difficult to turn over from starter. But it still did not pink.

Also it is on unleaded, should it be retarded. I understand 8degrees BTC is somewhere handy but I do not know if that is static or strobe.
Is it worth/cheaper to use octane boosters/Redex.

Jeff :)