P.I pump stripdown

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
sahtuning2000
P.I pump stripdown

#1 Post by sahtuning2000 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Took the P.I for a short run yesterday,keeping it local until it gets a few miles on it!
When i returned i noticed a fuel smell,turns out the fuel pump centre seal is leaking,i stripped the pump today and took pics and drawingsetc of how things go
I,ve ordered a new centre seal and have the larger outer seal new aswell as brushes.
Can i ask what i should or shouldn,t do with this pump,i,ve been very careful!!!
Anyone have a good spare pump to sell me incase i need it?

leesellars

Re: P.I pump stripdown

#2 Post by leesellars » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Sounds like you have had fitted cheap seals that are not acceptable with unleaded. Contact David Harvey he will rebuild it correctly for you.

Lee
Triumph Mk2 PI 1975
Triumph TR6 PI 1973

Alec

Re: P.I pump stripdown

#3 Post by Alec » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Hello SAH,

the manual refers to a protector which is fitted to the shaft to protect the seal as you fit the armature back into the housing, but also suggests a ball point pen cover will work. This is because the sharp edges of the tang could damage the new seal on assembly. Another method is to wrap insulating tape around the end of the shaft. Also check the end float of the armature, tighten the screw in the end cap until you just feel it touch the shaft then reverse a quarter of a turn.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.