external oil feed for no"s 1 and 2

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Alec
Re: external oil feed for no"s 1 and 2

#31 Post by Alec » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Hello Jonathon,

I fitted an oil cooler with thermostat to my car when I built it and fitted an oil temperature gauge . What the gauge has told me is that I don't need an oil cooler, even on the hottest summer day the oil doesn't get much above 60 or 70 degrees, so really a good running temperature.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Jonathan Lewis

#32 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi Alec,

On any sort of long fast run, I find that the oil temperature will rise to 75-80C, though the time/distance required for that to happen is obviously dependent on ambient temperature and traffic conditions. In fairness, even without a cooler fitted, I didn't experienced excessive oil temperatures provided that a reasonable road speed could be maintained; where the problem arose was having to slow (say for heavy traffic) after a long fast run, in which case the temperature would go up (and oil pressure drop accordingly) and display a worrying tendency to stay that way.

Since the cooler has been fitted, observed oil temperature might briefly 'spike' at perhaps 85C under those conditions, but not much higher, and pressures no longer seem to drop.

FWIW, oil temperature is measured via a fitting tapped-off the oil gallery between pump and filter, just below the oil pressure switch.

Just my experience!

Jonathan

CAR

#33 Post by CAR » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:49 am

The only car I have owned with an oil temperature gauge was a Lancia. The only time the oil temperature rose above 70 or so degrees was when towing a caravan up a long incline This I believe was due to the turbo being oil cooled. The rest of the time I doubt whether the oil cooler thermostat was open very much.
I can't comment on the Triumph side of things though.

Colin.
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

racer

#34 Post by racer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:02 am

i have been reading the forum with some interest and i hope my findings might be of some use, firstly when i am building a new race engine i remove ALL gallery plugs, yes even those on each end, and core plugs then the block is dipped to remove all traces of upto 40 years of sludge out of the galleries, i think this could be one of the main causes of some of the members problems, remember an oil press gauge only tells you what the available press is at that point, if the galleries are restricted that is not what is reaching the bearings, remember the old austin seven, the lower the oil press the clearer the spray tubes to the big ends, then i fit a standard prv, carfully built oil pump with extended suction, thats another subject, 13 row oil cooler, no thermostat fitted, use green flag lap to bring all the temps up, oil, brakes, tyres, me :lol: oil temp gauge fitted near bottom of sump next to drain plug
so that set up gives me an oil press gauge that doesnt go much above 65 psi, prv is blowing off, the hottest i have seen the oil is 95/100c [45psi] at rockingham, but usually runs at 70c [55psi] water temp remains within the normal range, [thermo removed but semi blanking plate fitted ] i use between 5000 and 7000 rpm and i have been running one engine for five tears on this set up and all i use is a good grade 20/50, oil my gallery set up is-- nearest clutch h/ press oil switch, next, oil feed to rockers, oil press gauge on bulge on dist drive
hope this little bit of input might be of some use, but this does work
racer