Stainless Steel Exhaust

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Frederico

Stainless Steel Exhaust

#1 Post by Frederico » Wed May 22, 2013 4:43 pm

My '77 2500S Auto estate's exhaust has started to blow a bit so time to upgrade to a stainless system.

I e-mailed Chris Witor a week ago for advice on options but have not had a reply. Double S got very favourable feedback on the forum and they responded immediately to my e-mail. Unfortunately they do not routinely make estate exhausts but have offered to make one up for me.

I know lots of you have made the upgrade so would welcome your advice on where best to purchase for quality, ease of fitting, value etc..

I don't want a noisy system, just something in keeping with the character of the car.

Thanks

Fred

Alan Chatterton

Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm

strange that Chris has not responded.

His exhaust is a sports system, so stick to two silencers in the middle if you want a quiet one.

Double S are very good, but pricey.

Have a look at Rimmer Brothers, they have them on the shelf.

Or, Earlparts in Derbyshire.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008676
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Frederico

#3 Post by Frederico » Wed May 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks Alan

I was looking for an alternative to R Bros given some of the feedback, and previous personal experience with parts for some of my other old cars.

Cost is not my main concern so perhaps Double S may be suitable. I just want a quality system that fits reasonably well and sounds appropriate which is why I went to Witor's first.

Perhaps some phoning as opposed to e- mailing is required.

Fred

kevinw

#4 Post by kevinw » Wed May 22, 2013 6:19 pm

I've got a Witor semi-sport on my car, It is a little noisy at about 60 - 70 mph, but a nice noise! Whatever you fit, a useful tip I was told recently was to use some silicone high temperature sealant - the sort that is used on the flues for solid fuel flues on the joints as this stops the joints blowing.
Kevin
Kevin Warrington

No longer any Triumphs in the garage
but there is a bright red Mercedes SLK250

CAR

#5 Post by CAR » Wed May 22, 2013 8:42 pm

I have Witor exhausts on both our cars, the estate has a single box in the centre, the pi has a straight through centre. The PI is quieter inside at speed than the estate, although from outside the PI is louder. The estate bodies as Witor advises boom at speed.
One way that I quietened the estate a bit (without expecting to) was by adding Witor's 6-3-1 manifold!
As Alan says try 2 boxes in the centre on an estate and be careful if you are getting a standard exhaust made by anyone that the bore is big enough for a 2500, the lincolnshire ones look suspiciously like early 2000 ones and will have a detrimental effect on how the car goes.

Colin
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

David Withers

#6 Post by David Withers » Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 am

CRAJ wrote:....be careful if you are getting a standard exhaust made by anyone that the bore is big enough for a 2500, the lincolnshire ones look suspiciously like early 2000 ones and will have a detrimental effect on how the car goes.
That's something I'd never considered. My Rimmer's T2500 exhaust has a tailpipe bore of 35 mm (1.3/8") and does look a bit small for the size of engine. As I reported earlier, the downpipe and centre-pipe needed severe alterations to make the system fit the car - but the tailpipe is 'as received' of course!

Does anyone know the bore of the T2500 tailpipe on the cars as designed?

leesellars

#7 Post by leesellars » Thu May 23, 2013 7:31 am

The system on mine is a CW Sports and is 2" in dia. I will need a 6 branch manifold very soon.

Lee
Triumph Mk2 PI 1975
Triumph TR6 PI 1973

Andy Thompson

#8 Post by Andy Thompson » Thu May 23, 2013 7:46 am

David Withers wrote:
CRAJ wrote:....be careful if you are getting a standard exhaust made by anyone that the bore is big enough for a 2500, the lincolnshire ones look suspiciously like early 2000 ones and will have a detrimental effect on how the car goes.
That's something I'd never considered. My Rimmer's T2500 exhaust has a tailpipe bore of 35 mm (1.3/8") and does look a bit small for the size of engine. As I reported earlier, the downpipe and centre-pipe needed severe alterations to make the system fit the car - but the tailpipe is 'as received' of course!

Does anyone know the bore of the T2500 tailpipe on the cars as designed?
I think the PI estate was 1 7/8" - but for some reason the TC /S estate was given the pea shooter type at 1 1/2" or 1 5/8". The smaller one is quiet but nasty - it also creates dreadful back pressure
Perth WA
1970 2500PI estate
1964 2.7PI saloon
1973 2100 EFI Megasquirt
1972 Stag

http://triumphwestoz.blogspot.com/

Very Big garage

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu May 23, 2013 11:59 am

Andy Thompson wrote:it also creates dreadful back pressure
Which is why the original back boxes seemed to rust out at the front of the box itself in about 18 months! That and the fact that they angle up so any condensate sits at the front.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Frederico

#10 Post by Frederico » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:34 pm

After much looking around and taking advice from the various forum contributors I spoke with Chris Witor and ordered a semi-sport system. Had all the usual problems fitting it eg sheared manifold studs etc. but it was beautifully made and fitted perfectly. My car now sounds very different but does not boom too much and the tailpipe looks pretty neat.

Thanks to all who proffered advice from their own experiences. It was very helpful.

Fred