2500S engine reluctant to start and barely runs.

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
poppyman
Groupie
Groupie
Re: 2500S engine reluctant to start and barely runs.

#51 Post by poppyman » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:31 pm

Mine is auto as well and goes really well. my pal who has one had a similar problem with lack of top speed. his was down to the timing. we set by ear advancing it and it now goes like stink. Have tried setting it without a timing light?

Tony.

Forkie

#52 Post by Forkie » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:51 pm

No, we haven't if i am honest but on the flip side the timing area has never been disturbed since i have owned it, and it wasn't driving like it is now before the long lay up. I am aware that Autos are not keen on standing idle for long periods , and coupled with not really finding much wrong with the engine itself i am almost convinced i have a 'box issue. It might sound extreme but all the seals/gaskets are leaking anyway, the ring gear on the driveplate is damaged so it needs out anyway. At least i can then ' forget' the 'box so to speak. Will bear the above in mind though....
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

poppyman
Groupie
Groupie

#53 Post by poppyman » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:17 am

Good luck with it.

Tony.

Clifford Pope

#54 Post by Clifford Pope » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:28 am

Update:

I re-checked all the suggestions people had made but the engine still would barely run, and would splutter and then die.
I left it for a day, thinking I'm tired of bothering and I might as well just be rid of the car, but then tried one more time and after a moment's hesitation it suddenly sprang into life and now starts first shot every time and appears to to run normally.

It's as if a cobweb really has been suddenly blown out! I still haven't yet had the courage to take it out on the road, because if it did cut out it means towing the car home and back up the hill and winching it back into the garage, like last time.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but it would be reassuring to know what had happened.

poppyman
Groupie
Groupie

#55 Post by poppyman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

I know what you mean, i would wait until you have a couple of willing hands with you before you go out, i did the same with mine and i can go out in it with confidence now. well worth a try. :D

Tony.