2016 Classic Le Mans

Any Triumph related event taking place
TR7Driver
2016 Classic Le Mans

#1 Post by TR7Driver » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:05 am

I know its over a year away 8th -10th July to be exact but it's surprising how time flys. I thought it might be a good idea to coordinate a merry band to travel together (where possible), camp up at Le Mans, have a really good time and then travel back.
Is anyone interested?
Before I start, please realise that I am not to be held personally responsible for any aspect of this trip. I just wanted to start things off as early as possible and to offer suggestions from past experience so you have the opportunity to enjoy and share a fabulous event with the least amount of hassle.
In the past I've made my camping arrangements via TSSC and suggest this be the case again. I then organised my own travel arrangements and apart from a few hiccups, this has been - catch the overnight ferry to Caan on the Wednesday, pitch up Thursday, enjoy the weekend then get the ferry back on the Monday, around lunchtime. Obviously this will not suit everyone so I was hoping, through this forum, you can organise your individual requirements with those who are doing something similar and arrange to travel together. I feel this is important, not just because of the comradery but the support you can give each other in the unlikely event of something going wrong.
For those of you that feel camping is not for you there are package deals with hotels and the like. It something I've never done but I am sure there are others that can offer suggestions and if not I'm sure we can check out what other have done and work something out from there and if it is your want, to meet up with the rest of us inside the complex.
For those of you that aren't into be very sociable, complete respect to your privacy but I hope this thread can still be of help, just pick out the bits you're interested in.

Well? You up for it? :D
Jim S

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2016 Classic Le Mans

#2 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 am

The SoC do something similar and they all seem to have a great time!

If any of you do want to use Brittany Ferries, as we are 'Frequent Flyer's' with them (called Club Voyage I think), you can use our membership number to get a discount. OK, its only 10% but it all helps and is quite legit!

This is true for any trip with them, so if interested, just let me know and I can let you know the details.
Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

TR7Driver

#3 Post by TR7Driver » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks Mike, this just the sort of thing that helps.

Jim
Jim S

kevinw

#4 Post by kevinw » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:49 pm

I've been twice and will probably be going again in 2016. First time was at the TSSC camping at Tertre Rouge. I understand that their agreement on this site has ended and it will be used by another club for future years - I think the Morgan Owners Club. Last time was with the TR Register at their camping at Maison Blanche. NEVER AGAIN! The few showers were absolutely disgusting, the toilets even worse and there is something about queuing for basic bodily functions to be carried out in the most filthy conditions that I just cannot get my head around. They might just as well combined Roman toilets with shower stalls. Came back with conjunctivitis (don't even ask how or why!) and took 3 hot showers to feel clean again.

A Company called Travel Destinations, with whom I have absolutely no connection, has a somewhat more select site on the inside of Tertre Rouge, plus some accommodation that could be described as like a beach hut, but none of it is cheap. We looked first of all at the "beach hut" accommodation - cost for 2 is around £1600 for 3 or 4 nights, ferry, admission and paddock pass. Camping is cheaper and they offer properly serviced loos and showers, plus security, but it is still going to be in the region of £800.

Hotel accommodation is hard / impossible within 30 miles as it is all booked up by the tour organisers and priced as you might expect for a commodity where demand exceeds supply.

However - it is a brilliant event and I'm 99% sure that I'll be going for a 3rd time, this time with Ann coming along.

Kevin
Kevin Warrington

No longer any Triumphs in the garage
but there is a bright red Mercedes SLK250

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:51 am

A friend here at work went to the 'normal' Le Mans this year, organising his own travel and camp site. I can't remember which campsite he used, but he said it was OK and not as noisy as some of the course sites but still within easy reach of the track.

I can ask if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)