2.5pi estate on fleabag.

Enter any items seen or placed in other ads, either Ebay, Auto Trader, Local Press, etc.
Forum rules
1. If Ebay, Please state Ebay reference number and/or provide a link. 2. If other, i.e. Auto Trader or Local Press, state date/issue published and location. 3. Please stick to relevant links, i.e. Triumph 2000 related only.
badger
2.5pi estate on fleabag.

#1 Post by badger » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:52 pm

I see manvers triumph have an ok looking pi estate on eBay. Surprised they aren't restoring it themselves, seeing as it is a rare beast these days. Looks reasonably solid from the pictures. Will be interesting to see what it goes for, more importantly where it ends up.
Dorset Badger
MK2 2000 m/od. Sapphire Blue.

englishbull

Re: 2.5pi estate on fleabag.

#2 Post by englishbull » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 am

Jim will fill the gaps
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

TedTaylor

#3 Post by TedTaylor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:58 am

Nicking Jim's link of the CT Forum which I could not get to work directly on this Forum http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-25-Pi ... 1312472097

I also expressed my view of a comment in the listing:
I really don't like the phrase "The car may prove of strong interest as a donor vehicle and in essence,this may be a deciding factor to all serious bidders,particularly as a provider of the higher horsepower engine,all fuel injection parts,overdrive gearbox,rear axle & driveshaft assemblies,plus a host of body & trim parts."

I would hope a reputable dealer would not want to encourage this sort of thing as somewhere down the line it could involve an illegal act .

Then later:
The other way of looking at this phrase is that Manvers are suggesting that the running gear and everything related to a PI be removed and put into a non PI saloon shell. What would be the identity then claimed - estate, 2000/2500, or a log book fiddled PI.
People do re-shell cars of special interest to 'save' them which while illegal does have a purpose. To do what is being implied here is blatantly illegal and of no legitimacy so lets hope the car is bought by someone who respects it for what it is.

There was another suggestion that they could be implying using the running gear in a TR6 upgrade of a TR250 and my response was
if that is the case I personally am not happy about the thought that one of our not very common Mk2 PI estates should end up being taken apart to upgrade a TR6.

And again later:
Also to use the running gear to convert a 2000 to a PI seems a little self defeating as this car while it does have some body issues is not that bad - and there is spare running gear around if one wants to look for it to upgrade a 2000 without loosing an original car, this was done by a previous owner to my Mk2 estate though they used 2500S running gear from a saloon that had already been broken up. And any conversion of a 2000 saloon using this running gear as I mentioned before could be an illegal act if it is to acquire the identity of a PI saloon.

To be honest I am very disappointed that the vendors, a reputable Triumph dealership, should by implication be suggesting any of these things. Lets us hope that someone buys the car who respects it for what it is.

Sorry for the rant.

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

rlubikey
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by rlubikey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:02 pm

TedTaylor wrote:"The car may prove of strong interest as a donor vehicle ..."

To be honest I am very disappointed that the vendors, a reputable Triumph dealership, should by implication be suggesting any of these things. Lets us hope that someone buys the car who respects it for what it is.[/i]

Sorry for the rant.

MUT
I think they're plucking at our heart-strings and have succeeded in their aim of getting us talking about it in the hope that someone will pay a little more to *stop* it being broken up.

Richard
From the sublime to the ridiculous - but which is which???
Spitfire 2.5PI - Atlas - restoration in progress and Latest post 21-1-17.
Image Image
Reading, Berks.

JimB

#5 Post by JimB » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Quick summary:

Previous owner advertised the car on the Club Triumph forum. I enquired, he sent over photos showing the extent of the rot, then I commenced a quest to find repair panels. I wouldn't buy it without at least having located panels! He then, without giving me a nudge, sold it to Manvers, saying in his blog that they were buying it to restore for a customer:

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/blog ... log=404624

He's been had.

Then the dealer quickly preps and advertises it:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C563983

Now they're auctioning it...

:evil:

TedTaylor

#6 Post by TedTaylor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:32 pm

rlubikey wrote:
TedTaylor wrote:I think they're plucking at our heart-strings and have succeeded in their aim of getting us talking about it in the hope that someone will pay a little more to *stop* it being broken up.

Richard
Never you believe it - they are just trying to get the best deal that they can irrespective of the ethics, and it is probably because these cars don't get such a good price unless they are used as donors for some inappropriate use.

I think Jim's posting says it all as to their motives. Advertised for re-selling 7 days after buying from Rob so the story they gave him is nothing like what has actually happened.

MUT
Member 4473 1990
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G

peewee21
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by peewee21 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi All,

I know this is my first topic but time ticks. with the known issues on this PI what is its current market value?

I am looking for a car, not to break but to do up and hope to aim for the RBRR in 2016. I don't want to waste money, I can do electrical, interior and mechanical work but not body or painting work.

kind regards
ian
Ian Peacock
still sane? definitely not!!
Mk1 2000 Estate Wedgwood Blue

TedTaylor

#8 Post by TedTaylor » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Ian

Difficult to say what a car is actually worth without looking at it. However despite its bodywork issues provided that the mechanics of the car are OK (with perhaps an bit of service work) in my opinion there is still a bit of value in this car above its present top bid this morning. The only query about this car is the need for it to have repairs to wings and sills which are not easy to find but Lloyd Reid is doing a great job on this and the required parts are hopefully going to be available if enough people support him and accept his reasonable prices (he is not doing it for profit). Wings repairs can of course be temporarily bodged to look OK while waiting for proper repairs to come available providing the main structure is OK .

Mk2 PI estates are uncommon and desirable (very rare Mk1s even more so) which is my beef about the suggestion in the original ebay listing that it should be broken to provide uprated parts for other cars.

We used a 2500 Mk2 estate on the Round Britain 'Reliability' Run ourselves this year - the Mk1 PI estate not being ready. It was a great vehicle to use with comfort and good cruising and handling ability (uprated 'towing' rear suspension great for carrying loads of emergency stuff) and even though we went two up which a lot of people did not recommend we had no problems. The full story of Woodie and the Vurest uv Dean Vlyers is in the current edition of Six Appeal ........ but sorry you will have to join the Register to be able to read it!

The other thing about an estate is that it is so versatile for use as an everyday car if so wished, my car is my own everyday transport (Steph has a Subaru Forester) and gets used for everything ...... literally. Shopping, carrying dogs, carrying building material, towing caravan or trailer, recovering (on a tow rope) other cars, carrying rubbish (including garden stuff) to the local tip ......... and scrap metal to be weighed in.

I keep it clean and tidy after doing its jobs as you would any modern estate, and the pleasure of driving it, and other people's when they see it, makes it so much more rewardable.

In my opinion a tidy well sorted PI estate has to be worth the same as an equivalent modern estate especially if used as I do. When I was looking for one after having a PPI insurance windfall I had budgeted up to £5000 for a really good one or buying a rough one and getting it sorted with much work being done myself. The story of me getting both a Mk1 PI estate and the 2500 estate is another matter :lol:

MUT
Member 4473 1990
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G

Alec

#9 Post by Alec » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Hello Ted,

"In my opinion a tidy well sorted PI estate has to be worth the same as an equivalent modern estate"

Did you see my reference to the comparison between a 2005 X Type Jaguar estate and a 1978 2500 S estate earlier this month viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5265, both cost about £6,000.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

TedTaylor

#10 Post by TedTaylor » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Alec wrote:Hello Ted,

"In my opinion a tidy well sorted PI estate has to be worth the same as an equivalent modern estate"

Did you see my reference to the comparison between a 2005 X Type Jaguar estate and a 1978 2500 S estate earlier this month viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5265, both cost about £6,000.

Alec
Yes Alec and it was very interesting and an eye opener showing how the value of our cars are rising.

It only goes to show how people have to be careful not to down value our cars - one of the reasons why some say the price of Lloyd's wings are too high and make using them not cost effective on their cars. If a car has a potential to be worth £5 - 6000, the expenditure of £325 per 'wing' (plus fitting) is a bargain!

MUT
Member 4473 1990
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G