Committee Meeting June 2014

A group for the sourcing or production of difficult to obtain or unobtainable parts
TedTaylor
Committee Meeting June 2014

#1 Post by TedTaylor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:37 am

Since the AGM at Stoneleigh things have been a little quiet as far as our activities are concerned because I have been temporarily unable to lead things as needed with my knee replacement operation and associated technical problems.

With all that more or less behind me I am able to push things forward now with the support of my colleagues and we are having a committee meeting next Sunday.
Items for discussion will include Projects and at present we are looking into jacking points, heated rear windows, seat material, side repeater lenses, as well as a number of other things.

Spares Group members have already been advised about this meeting and have provided an input so if you wish to get news early you will have to join. Contact Dave Maton (Davemate on the Forum)

Ted
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

torque2me

Re: Committee Meeting June 2014

#2 Post by torque2me » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:40 pm

TedTaylor wrote:Since the AGM at Stoneleigh things have been a little quiet as far as our activities are concerned because I have been temporarily unable to lead things as needed with my knee replacement operation and associated technical problems.

With all that more or less behind me I am able to push things forward now with the support of my colleagues and we are having a committee meeting next Sunday.
Items for discussion will include Projects and at present we are looking into jacking points, heated rear windows, seat material, side repeater lenses, as well as a number of other things.

Spares Group members have already been advised about this meeting and have provided an input so if you wish to get news early you will have to join. Contact Dave Maton (Davemate on the Forum)

Ted
Well, the Mk.2 side repeater is one we need to sort out as it is a D.o.T. failure if not working or frosted. Is the jacking points the same for the Stag or not?

How about compiling a list of common parts (with other related models) and which other clubs either re-produce or would be willing to co-operate in ventures. There is no point in re-inventing the wheel (as the saying goes) every time. Are we able to get the tier 1 suppliers on-board with either finance or orders?

Kev

TedTaylor

#3 Post by TedTaylor » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:17 pm

torque2me wrote:Well, the Mk.2 side repeater is one we need to sort out as it is a D.o.T. failure if not working or frosted. Is the jacking points the same for the Stag or not?

How about compiling a list of common parts (with other related models) and which other clubs either re-produce or would be willing to co-operate in ventures. There is no point in re-inventing the wheel (as the saying goes) every time. Are we able to get the tier 1 suppliers on-board with either finance or orders?

Kev
Thanks for your comments Kev.

A proper report on our committee discussion will be sent to the Triumph Spares Group (TSG) members, along with other information, in an e-mail 'Newsletter' within the next week or so and which will include info on heated rear screens (saloon and estate) and jacking points. More details on the rear screens and jacking points will be made available to others once the TSG members are fully aware of what is going on - non-members will have to wait (or join the TSG!). However as you have raised points and asked questions here is a brief response to them.

One of our priority projects will be the side repeater light for the reason you state. Don't expect them in a hurry because these sorts of things take time to organise and finance.

There is very little, almost nil, carry over with other cars and when someone asks about something on the Forum the info is usually disclosed - and I have been in touch with other clubs about co-operation but nothing is relevant. However you make a valid point about having what is known in one location even if the list will be small and with our webmaster revamping our website it is something we could include if the committee agrees. To answer your question abut jacking points - they are specific to our cars and the matter is in hand.

Response with other traders (your tier 1 suppliers?) was almost non existent when I got the windscreens remade (pre TSG days) with only CW interested. Since them Chris has been the only Trader showing any interest in what we are doing with some being very negative so apart from Chris we seem to be on our own. CW has produced the seat diaphragms after we were able to suggest likely demand and an acceptable price based on information from members.

One thing I must point out is that because of product liability matters we can only sell things we directly source to members, but then at £5 (Register and CT members only) it does not really break the bank! Also more people joining and giving us support will be nice, while we would always note what non-members say it is only paid up members that can directly influence policy and decisions made by the TSG.

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

torque2me

#4 Post by torque2me » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:41 pm

TedTaylor wrote:
torque2me wrote:Well, the Mk.2 side repeater is one we need to sort out as it is a D.o.T. failure if not working or frosted. Is the jacking points the same for the Stag or not?

Kev
cut
One of our priority projects will be the side repeater light for the reason you state. Don't expect them in a hurry because these sorts of things take time to organise and finance.
For the question of Register involvement with spares we all know that is "verboten". It is only due to the desparate situation and some determined people that a few things have appeared or about to become reality. So, I know that these things take time and I am appreciate efforts made.
There is very little, almost nil, carry over with other cars and when someone asks about something on the Forum the info is usually disclosed - and I have been in touch with other clubs about co-operation but nothing is relevant.
We do share parts - mainly mechanical but also trim material etc. - with TR's, Dolomite, Stag et al. With to-day's communication methods we should be able to ascertain what each club does in the way of re-manufacture and their manufacturing source. So, for instance, what is the Dolomite club(s) doing to replace "Biscuit" interiors? By this method we can obtain feedback and wants and needs. This then can lead to a request for material(s) if not the finished item and the bigger the planned order the better chance of a good price.
cut
To answer your question abut jacking points - they are specific to our cars and the matter is in hand.
Right and good!
Response with other traders (your tier 1 suppliers?) was almost non existent when I got the windscreens remade (pre TSG days) with only CW interested. Since them Chris has been the only Trader showing any interest in what we are doing with some being very negative so apart from Chris we seem to be on our own. CW has produced the seat diaphragms after we were able to suggest likely demand and an acceptable price based on information from members.
I'm supprised Rimmers didn't take 1/2 dozen screens and due to CW being more pro-active I request parts from him first. After all, he who has stock can do business! He who does not....cannot.
One thing I must point out is that because of product liability matters we can only sell things we directly source to members, but then at £5 (Register and CT members only) it does not really break the bank! Also more people joining and giving us support will be nice, while we would always note what non-members say it is only paid up members that can directly influence policy and decisions made by the TSG.

MUT
Must not become too despondent at the spares/trim issues. After all, we cannot undue 30 years of neglect in just a couple. Money is always the deciding factor and our hearts will rule our heads. That is why some people will say they will "take one" and a £5 is a couple of nicker too much. That is why I'm always going on about checking with other clubs - each club might be to small to take action. In a few years hence, I can see some amalgamations but that might come too late for some cars.

regards,

Kev