MK 1 light switches

A group for the sourcing or production of difficult to obtain or unobtainable parts
Davemate
Groupie
Groupie
MK 1 light switches

#1 Post by Davemate » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Has any one got a mk1 light switch that is NOT WORKING it must be one that's is known "NOT TO WORK.

I want to take it apart to see if a "repair kit" can be made. This is something that needs to be done as the switches are getting hard to get hold of in working order.

stuart490
Groupie
Groupie

Re: MK 1 light switches

#2 Post by stuart490 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Chris Witor sells refurbished switches, but they are about £25, as I recall, which I guess reflects the amount of time/work involved. By the way, the sidelight switch unit is exactly the same.
Regards,Stuart

stuart490
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by stuart490 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Whoops, I meant to say the wiper switch is exactly the same.
Stuart

Clifford Pope

#4 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16 pm

stuart490 wrote:Whoops, I meant to say the wiper switch is exactly the same.
Stuart

Is it? The head/side lamp switch has a kind of interlock, so that switching the headlights on automatically turns on the sidelights, but not vice versa.

The washer switch to the side of the wiper switch is spring-loaded.

So the units are not identical, Or do you mean the individual switches can be taken out separately, and the units rebuilt with different pairs?

Incidentally I have always found the wiper switch a pain to operate, hidden behind the overdrive stalk. With no delay/wipe, in light rain it needs constant operation.
My solution has been to fit a Mark2 overdrive button on the gearlever, and then wire the wipers to the redundant O/D stalk. That incidentally leaves a spare switch if required for some other accessory.

englishbull

#5 Post by englishbull » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 pm

I find Rainex works better than standard MK1 wipers.......... :wink:

Came all the way home from Stoneleigh last Sunday in heavy rain and did not have to use the wipers once and that was 63 miles...........

We also use it with great success on the CT RBRR........

I did once fit a intermittent wash/wipe system on one of my old MK1 estates that also worked well.
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

CAR

#6 Post by CAR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:01 pm

englishbull wrote:I find Rainex works better than standard MK1 wipers.......... :wink:

Came all the way home from Stoneleigh last Sunday in heavy rain and did not have to use the wipers once and that was 63 miles...........

We also use it with great success on the CT RBRR........

I did once fit a intermittent wash/wipe system on one of my old MK1 estates that also worked well.
RainX is better than the wipers on mk2s also, we proved that in the same rain on Sunday. :roll:
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

James

#7 Post by James » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:45 am

They're reasonably easy to refurbish with not much but a bit of sandpaper — assuming that you haven't melted any plastic.

The sidelight switch is the same as the headlights — it's the outside part of the switch that is different.

More over — if you've got a Mk1 — easy peasy to install some relays to stop the switch breaking — you don't even need to cut any wires if you have some bullet crimps and connectors handy.
1969 2000 MkI EFI
1969 Spitfire MkIII
blog: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/wordpress
twitter: http://twitter.com/jamescarruthers

Alec

#8 Post by Alec » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:26 am

Hello James,

When I looked at one when Dave originally asked, the problem to me is removing the upset head of the integral rivet and then accurately drilling through it to use a small nut and bolt to reassemble it. There is very little room for error.

Holden Classic and Vintage have some new switches of the same type so replacement switch cores are available for the time being, with the proviso that they are marked as 'limited quantities'. The actual switch core was used on a variety of vehicles and I found them after a lot of trawling through their lists.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.