New Member (Club & forum)

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
hoopsontoast
Newly registered
New Member (Club & forum)

#1 Post by hoopsontoast » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:27 pm

Hi,
I'm a new member of the forum and club, also a member of the Dolomite Club as in the past I have a couple of Dolomites (Sprint & 1850HL) as well as a TR7 and an Acclaim. All my only car at the time after University around 2010 onwards. I moved to some more 'reliable' Toyotas with a couple of Celica's (90s Gen5 & 00s Gen7) and now well out of the 'classic' game with a couple of BMWs, now an all-electric i4 company car so really feel its right to have another Triumph, especially now I have a double garage!

At the time around 2009 when I bought the Dolomite Sprint for £2k for a reasonable runner, back when you could get a GT6 for ~£3k, just over my budget at the time but I test drove one and loved the engine but could not quite spend that much at the time. I never really looked into the Big Saloons at the time, really should have!

I'll be posting an Ad soon for an Estate, not fussy between Mk1/Mk2 or 2000/2500 really, I'd love a 2500S Estate but they seem quite rare, especially in the South/Central as a new Dad, I can't really do whole days away travelling around the country!

I'm in Faringdon (Oxfordshire) so I'll be across to a local meet, I think there is one in Swindon just down the road!

Cheers, Rob

johnnydog

Re: New Member (Club & forum)

#2 Post by johnnydog » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:07 pm

Welcome to the Register and Forum Rob!
Yes, if only we all had a glass ball....especially going back not too many years when you could pick up a reasonable 2000 /2500/2.5PI for sensible money.
They are around still, but in any search for the right car, as my teachers used to tell me, 'patience is a virtue' :lol:
You obviously know Triumphs well, but if you've never had a Big Six before it may be worth picking the brains of a member local to yourself as to the areas to check before parting with your 'hard earned'. There are plenty of tell tale indicators as to any previous welding work that may not be apparant unless you know the relevant panel fit, shape, original seams etc.
Any car for sale may also be known to members on here which may give an insight into its past. There is also plenty of info on here if needed.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but it is easy to pass off a good looking car with gremlins lurking.
Hope you are lucky with your search.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

hoopsontoast
Newly registered

#3 Post by hoopsontoast » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:34 am

Thanks, I'll certainly be calling on the expertice here when required! :D

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:38 pm

I lived in Faringdon from 1961 until 1979 and still go back occasionally. Now live near Didcot! I wish you luck finding the right car for you.

Cheers, Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)