Hi from me and PPJ 482L

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
European Voyager
Newly registered
Hi from me and PPJ 482L

#1 Post by European Voyager » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:27 pm

Hi All
Ive recently joined the register and have now joined the Forum and just wanted to say Hello.

Ive had the same Stag for over 30 years and recently had the chance to buy a mk 2 preface lift 1972 PI , Mallard with pale grey/Blue trim.
I have always liked the Lucas Fuel system and when I got the chance of this one close to me I took it . It was a non runner and had been sitting of the road for a while . I found the fuel metering unit was leaking fuel and not building pressure , A new unit and six new injectors and we were up and running but not well. At this time I had a health problem and that was me laid up for a while so the car was on the back burner . I wanted to use it this year so after feeling better I brought her out the workshop and started on her again. New plugs HT leads , Distributor cap , Coil fuel filters .
I made up test points and a gauge and started to work out why she wasn't running properly , There is a lot of information on the net and I think a lot of misinformation , I came across a web site
fred millturn parts and found martin there very helpful. He went through how to check and set up my PI and I found two faulty injectors , I changed them and the car ran better , I then set up the car as Martin had said to do and Im now very happy with it .
I have a young family and I cant use it much at weekends but I have used it for work during the weeks and Im very happy with it . It pulls well and has lots of power . It looks like an older restoration as it could do with a respray and you can see where the have been panels repaired but I like the patina .
I have a 1972 Caravan and tow with my Stag and I have fitted a towbar to the PI so I can tow the caravan with it . It has a 4 speed non overdrive gearbox but although it drives well and selects well there is a bearing noise on tickover so I will need to look at that sometime.
I dont have much history about the car so If anyone recognizes the number I would be grateful to hear from them .
Next on my to do list is to fit hazard warning lights , I have a switch from a Stag so if anyone has any idea how to do this again I would be grateful to hear how .

Andy

johnnydog

Re: Hi from me and PPJ 482L

#2 Post by johnnydog » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:20 pm

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the Register and the Forum! Once your PI is properly set up (sounds like you're not far off!), the difference in driving pleasure above a 2000 is immense! Looks like you are getting to grips with the injection system in your PI anyway, but I'm sure if you have any issues, then the wealth of information on here and in members heads will greatly assist you!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Triumphtastic

#3 Post by Triumphtastic » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:22 pm

Hello and welcome. I might be wrong but I believe your car was offered for sale in the Scottish Borders area some years ago (St. Boswells?)
Great to hear that you have got it running again and are using it. They look good in Mallard blue and were a great towcar.

European Voyager
Newly registered

#4 Post by European Voyager » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:34 am

Hi Thanks for the replies , I think the boy I bought it off bought it bought it from that area . He ran it for a bit but I dont think he was happy with it as it proved troublesome .
EV